Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

rear main seal

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by greywolf, Dec 7, 2002.

1. greywolf

greywolf 1/2 ton status

HELP! this is for a 82 250 inline 6,does anybody know if its 1pc or 2pc?i did not check when i put the tranny a tcase in /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif(no insults please)i dont want to drop everything again /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif.i drove like 1 mile to break in tranny and t-case, i hoping i can just drop the pan and
    and turn the crank and spin the old one out.
    thanks in advance
    George

2. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

I'm pretty sure that it's a two piece seal. The first I heard of the one-piece seals is when they put them on the small blocks around '86 or '87. But then again, I have never paid much attention to inline-6 news. /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

3. greywolf

greywolf 1/2 ton status

yes i know,i called GM and asked and they were like oh i see and i dont know the picture doesn't show if it is or isn't but you can buy the kit

4. BiggerRigger

BiggerRigger Registered Member

So say if I had an 89 5.7l it should be a 1 piece rear seal? And lets also say that it leaks a quart of oil every 300 miles. Would I be able to replace this in the rig or would I have to pull the motor?

5. 72THING

72THING 1/2 ton status

My Chilton's truck manual only goes up to '79, but I'm 99.9% sure its a 2 piece seal. Its replaced exactly the same way as on a 350. It's a pain in the arse to do, but not really that difficult.

Will

6. 72THING

72THING 1/2 ton status

An '89 is definitely a one-piece rear main. You could pull the motor, but most folks drop the tranny/t-case. But the bottom line is you're gonna have to pull one of them to get to the seal. There's no way to get to it with everything in place. A quart every 300 miles sounds like the old motor I used to have; I'd check the gas and fill up on oil /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif

Will

7. greywolf

greywolf 1/2 ton status

thanks will,i put 2 qrts of oil in and watched 1 1/2 come out
    i felt sick to my stomach and i think i might have to do lifters now. /forums/images/graemlins/truck.gif

8. Looksback

Looksback 1/2 ton status

well if it is any help I have a'74 C20 that has a 292cid inline six, and yes it dose have have a two peice rear main, but I do not know if that would help becasue of the differance in the years

LooksBack