Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

rear main seal

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by potato76, Apr 21, 2003.

1. potato76

potato76 1/2 ton status

I am leaking oil from the rear main seal.Any one replace this???I have a 79 blazer w/ 400 in it.Is it simple??or do i have to remove the tranny to do it.How would i know.Also if it is too complicated for a beginner mechanic, how much would a pro cost approx.Sorry if this has been asked before i did a search and found nothing.

2. zakk

zakk 1/2 ton status

IIRC (which I usually don't)

i think i moved the tranny back a bit and took off the dust cover, starter, oil pan, etc. and replaced the seal. took the better part of a day and was fairly simple. I had a buddy over who had done it before, so it was fairly straight forward.

3. Don

Don 1/2 ton status

It's a matter of dropping the Pan, and removing the rear main bearing cap. then the "seal" roll's out.

Then install the new "seal", torque down the rear main to 65lbs. and reinstall the pan. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

4. Hossbaby50

Hossbaby50 3/4 ton status

Take it to a pro dude. It is something that is probably a little over your head right now. It would be a fairly involved task that really isn't to hard, but real time comsuming and not worth it when a mech. can do it alot easier and quicker due to having the right tools and experience. Call around and ask what they shops charge to do a rear main on your new truck dude.

Harley