Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

rear main seals and other questions

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by 85burbanator, Jul 29, 2003.

1. 85burbanator

85burbanator 1/2 ton status

well since im going to be replacing some seals and gaskets supa soon, i was wodering how hard it would be to replace my leaking rear main seal. do i have to pull the engine?would it help? also since im in there i was planning on fixing my cam which i retarded x degrees. how would i do that and not mess anything up. my dads mechanic might be able to stop by and give me a hand but hes a ford guy so i want to know whats going on in case he doesnt. thanx in advance for any info yall can give me on this.
    mike

2. boggerless

boggerless 1 ton status Premium Member

it's not too hard with the engine in, i did the frint seal on my old impala that way and it was pretty easy. on you truck you get the luxury of ground clearance. /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gifto /forums/images/graemlins/truck.gif

3. Calclips

Calclips 1/2 ton status

Swartz Creek, Michigan/Flint while in school
    The torque converter and flywheel need to come off to get at the rear main. You don't have to totally drop the tranny/transfercase... but I'm guessing that you need to slide them back far enough to get your flywheel off the crank.

4. JSH

JSH Registered Member

Depends on whether you have the one piece or two piece rear seal. I can't remember what year they switched. My 83 had the two piece and it wasn't too bad. Dropped the oil pan and took the dust cover off(sm465) The worst part was the oil dripping off the crankshaft into my eyes constantly. Fabbed a little hook to pull the top half around into place if I remember right. Good idea to go ahead and replace the pan gasket too if you weren't already thinking about it.

5. 85burbanator

85burbanator 1/2 ton status

i was thinking of redoing all the gaskets and seals just to be safe. my dads mechanic owes my dad around 800 bucks so my pops told me to take it to him and see if i can give hm a hand. he'll prolly go for it if he doesnt have to much going on.