Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Rear mounted winch?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by NOT4SHW, May 31, 2001.

1. NOT4SHW

NOT4SHW Guest

Has anyone mounted a winch on the rear? Not a receiver type but a perminant mount? If so do you have any pics? I haven't ruled out receiver mounted but I really interested in a tricked out rear mount.

'79 K5,13 1/2" lift, 39.5 TSL's,15x12 Eagles,350,t-350,warn 8274,

2. laketex

laketex 3/4 ton status

i've been looking into this as well. Mine will be a little different than yours probably, but I'm interested in mounting an extra 8000 warn we have here in the rear. I'll probably mount it underneath where my gas tank was and have a tube for the cable to come out thru the bumper. It'll be down the road a ways, but the idea has struck me hard. I like the thought. Anyone else?

<font color=red>Sherman, Tx
    "I'd Rather Be a Fencepost in Texas than the King of Tennessee" -Chris Hall
    TEXAS COUNTRY PRIDE
    </font color=red>

3. Mudstud

Mudstud 1/2 ton status

My cousin has a warn winch mounted to a Warn OEM looking bumber in the back of his K30 pickup. It's very inconspicuous (sp?). Just flip down the licese plate and drag the cable out. If you have your tank in the original spot then I don't think you can fit a winch in there. Perhaps with some bumper extensions but then you loose departure angle and the tailgate may hit it. Just a thought- Depending on the bumper you use, this set up may not give you better performance than a hitch style due to the fact that you still wont be able to winch from extreme angles.

Stuck is a state of mind!

Mudstud

4. Confederate9

Confederate9 1/2 ton status

ive seen one mounted in a j@@p cherokee.when he needed it he opened the tail gate and out it went.

<A target="_blank" HREF=http://confederate9.coloradok5.com/>http://confederate9.coloradok5.com/</A>
    <font color=red>K5: Because size DOES matter</font color=red>

5. WOODYJ

WOODYJ 1/2 ton status

I have an 8274 Warn on the front. It seems that I end up hauling quite a few cars on my trailer. I just run the winch cable out and throw it under the tires to where it is out the back of the Blazer in the center, throw the cable up over the front of the trailer and winch cars on the trailer. I made a small roller across under my license plate and bolted it on the bumper so it doesn't eat up my license plate. It seems to work fine. If you don't really want to spend money on another winch, just put a roller fairlead on the back and use the front winch for both directions. This way you could winch critical angles with no problem. You might have to make up some rollers on the bottom depending on the height of your suspension, but that should not be a problem. I know I use my front winch to pull Elk and other Big Game in the back as well as pulling cars on my trailer.(have a half cab) Just a thought. You buy many 8274's and your billfold gets flat in a hurry!

k5woody I Don't Understand The Jeep Thing Either!!!

6. mpascino

mpascino 1/2 ton status

All I did was get a hitch mount for mine.... I made a custom hitch for the front of my truck, looks pretty good. I got 15 feet of power cable and put quick disconnects on it. Now I can use the winch on the front or rear. I leave it on the front of my truck all the time , it just looks like it belongs there. If anyone is interested I can try and get some pics up....Couldn't see the point in buying two winches, what am I gonna do hang the truck like a hammock or see if I can turn my blazer into a 2 door suburban??[tounge]

You call that dirty!?

7. Triaged

Triaged 1/2 ton status

I was thinking of doing the hitch mounted thing but it looks like it might be weak when pulling at angles. I am thinking of making a set of custom bumpers and having a winch that had 2 legs to go into 2 receiver holes in the bumpers.

'71 Blazer CST with alot of rust

8. laketex

laketex 3/4 ton status

I like the hitch mounted thing, but for me it just wouldn't work. I'd always be cramming it into stuff cause my approach angles would suck with it on there. Then I'd take it off and leave it at home sometimes so it doesn't get rained on or stolen. Go out to the lake with my buds and get buried and alas, no winch. Or I'd try to store it somewhere inside my truck which would be a real trip right now seeing as I have no room for anything, packed tighter than a jeep full of hot chicks and beer at easter jeep safari. So I'd prefer to have it up front or out back, permanently, recessed, and accessible. that's just me though.

<font color=red>Sherman, Tx
    "I'd Rather Be a Fencepost in Texas than the King of Tennessee" -Chris Hall
    TEXAS COUNTRY PRIDE
    </font color=red>

9. chevyfumes

chevyfumes Court jester

Check out project beast on the project vehicles page he's got a nice pic of his rear mounted winch

<font color=blue> I'd rather have a bottle in front of me, than a frontal lobotomy!

10. michaelm

michaelm 1/2 ton status

http://wsphotofews.excite.com/027/MS/uZ/wt/oL35124.jpg
    <A target="_blank" HREF=http://wsphotofews.excite.com/031/rw/Jo/oa/pp28562.jpg>http://wsphotofews.excite.com/031/rw/Jo/oa/pp28562.jpg</A>

hope these links work for you.

11. mudhog

mudhog THEGAME Staff Member Super Moderator

go to the link in my sig and look at the first photo album i have pics of my multi-mount i know that it is not what you are looking for but i do have mine up higher for better aproch(sp?) angles

77blazer see it at<A target="_blank" HREF=http://community.webshots.com/user/ssmith6333>http://community.webshots.com/user/ssmith6333</A>

12. NOT4SHW

NOT4SHW Guest

I like the idea, but the gas tank???? Now the mud pics! Oh Yea! I hope to get into some today, I mean like in just a few hours! Thanks!

'79 K5,13 1/2" lift, 39.5 TSL's,15x12 Eagles,350,t-350,warn 8274,

13. Gopherkiller

Gopherkiller 1/2 ton status

Hi guys, I mounted a big electric winch pemitly in the rear frame of my 4x4 Chevy pickup. It alows me to get outfits up on my carhauler alot easier. Also, if I get stuck, why winch into something else much worse. Winch yourself BACK out, and go sit in front of the TV, where you belong! GOPHERKILLER