Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

rear overhang,... possible sloution without bobbing.

Discussion in '1936-Present Suburban' started by muddysub, Sep 12, 2002.

1. muddysub

muddysub 1 ton suburban status Staff Member Moderator GMOTM Winner

okay i was lookingat my new 2" body lift and got to thinking. /forums/images/icons/cool.gif we got all this rear everhang and all it does is scrape. what if you were to fab some mounts that dropped down from the frame kinda like the front spring hangers and put 2" body lift pucks in them? then when the rear end drops off of a rock shelf or something it rolls instead of scraping. place them just low enough so they will hit before the hitch. or heck you could mount them to your hitch. like off the sides of the hitch on the frame. so would this work? i've seen bobbed 'yotas use something like this on their rear shackles so why not us /forums/images/icons/smile.gif ?

2. pilgrim

pilgrim 1/2 ton status

All i have to say is "third axle". My idea is to take the 205 and mount a drive shaft to the back side of the front shaft, sure it'll take some fab work and machining, but if we can think it , we can build it. Next run the drive shaft over the 14 bolt on a center mount bearing thing and connect it to either a turned around furd dana 60 or custom done up 14 bolt.. suspension? probably need to do up some coils or coil overs... the avantage's would be that your departure angle would be 90 or so. how about lower ground pressure because you'd have two more tires on the ground.. Dudes three axles would be great!!! Make it retractable so you could turn well on the street.. Heck why not make them 2 rears steering... But to do anything it would first need to be functional and worth it , not some stupid mall runner...

3. muddysub

okay the last pic in my "misc" album in my webshots, check it out. /forums/images/icons/smile.gif

4. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

Bumper rollers are an old idea...seen em in pic's of guys running Moab a lot.

Rene

5. muddysub

well just burst my bubble why don't you! /forums/images/icons/mad.gif J/K

but i've never seen them on a suburban

6. tomseviltwin

tomseviltwin 1/2 ton status

There's a guy in town who has a custom bumper on his burb that's alot like Steve's. His fenders are trimmed forward at the bottom of the tailgate and the bumper wraps around to protect what's left. The bumper also has an integrated receiver tube that sits right below the tailgate also, and has a gas tank skidplate that reaches under and attaches to frame. That would provide quite a bit more clearance and confidence in back. The way I have it now, I'm dragging that stupid reciever hitch everywhere. My father in Law jsut got a new welder and live's accross the street from me. I'll have to become more friendly now /forums/images/icons/laugh.gif

tom

7. chvyhs

chvyhs 1/2 ton status

I've got a set of saddle tanks that I'm going to play with to see if I can mount them and lose my rear tank. That will open up some more of the rear overhang.

8. muddysub

that would be cool!

9. FLASHLIGHT76

FLASHLIGHT76 1/2 ton status

Well when you put the body lift on you can go raise your tank up to get it inside the frame rails for some protection. I'm going to be losing my factory bumper and remove the side sheet metal. Once I get the spare mounted out pack the spare tub is coming out and the outer sheet metal is getting cut like the UAV. I'm building a custom bumper which will look similar but will go to the frame for support. The reciever is getting cut and welded up in between the frame rails. This will give me about 4 more inches of clearance. I have been looking into the hidden hitch which mounts up in the same spot but it's reciever goes out the back as opposed to mounted to the bottom of the box tubing. This would give even more clearance. I've been thinking about the rollers. The hardest part is finding the right material which will hold up to the weight. Caster wheels might do the trick. /forums/images/icons/grin.gif

10. muddysub

move the tank up? is that possible!? /forums/images/icons/shocked.gif /forums/images/icons/confused.gif

11. Muddytazz

Muddytazz 1 ton status

Hell yeah, anything is possible, just fab up some new crossbrace hangers to support the tank and wollah, instant tank risen.

12. FLASHLIGHT76

I've been looking at it and you have to work the side seems past the frame rail but it is doo able.

13. Muddytazz

Muddytazz 1 ton status

the seams of the two halves of the tank? my 31 gallon tank overall width is a little narrower than the frame, so it shouldn't be a big deal.

14. FLASHLIGHT76

well my tank is a 36 or 40 Gal so it's quite wide. /forums/images/icons/grin.gif

15. Muddytazz

Muddytazz 1 ton status

gotta be a 40, cause they are only available in 25, 31 and 40. So yeah yours would be wider...LOL

16. FLASHLIGHT76

cool I've been trying to figure out which size it was. Some where I had heard that there was a 36 Gal. I think it was my chilton's book. Although I did just put 36 Gal in it and it was reading very low on the guage so Yeah 40 sounds good. /forums/images/icons/grin.gif /forums/images/icons/grin.gif /forums/images/icons/grin.gif lol

17. Ddragggon

Ddragggon 1/2 ton status

if I were you, I'd only use Grade 5 hardware on the rollers... they'll flex, adn stretch a little before cracking, whereas the 8's will shear off if you hit them hard enough. besides, grade 5 has almost the same load handling capacity ( I think its something like 120,000 Vs 140,000 Lbs) and a litle bit of give is always good.

I'm thinking I'm going to cut the rear sheetmetal off at about the lower trim line, throw out the spare tire carrier bin, and then fab up a rear bumper out of 2x4 or 2x6 thick sidewall box tubing that'll replace some of the sheetmetal I hack off. probably put rollers on it too, to help with assdraging.

-Rich

18. chvyhs

chvyhs 1/2 ton status

I'm still working up the courage to cut any sheetmetal rear of the front fenders. I think my next set of tire will be what takes me over. I'm already considering 42's and I haven't had the 38's on for 6 months yet.

As for the rear tank I was considering moving the mounting points up too. I'm definatly loosing the stock rear bumper in favor of something that I can safely drag across the rocks.

19. Muddytazz

Muddytazz 1 ton status

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
    As for the rear tank I was considering moving the mounting points up too. I'm definatly loosing the stock rear bumper in favor of something that I can safely drag across the rocks.

[/ QUOTE ]
    I know that one, i'm working on the tank issue now, and as far as my bumpers are concerned, i don't think anything minus a semi is going to damage it, and its already made of round 1/4" thick tubing so stuff SHOULD roll right off of it.

20. Seventy4Blazer

Seventy4Blazer 3/4 ton status

mount a fuel cell inside your cargo area.
    i found a nice 33 gallon one for 25 bones.
    grant