Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Rear Overloads Removal?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by DougK20, Mar 10, 2003.

1. DougK20

DougK20 1/2 ton status

I'm running the stock 3/4ton springs in the rear with a 4" block and original torsion shackles. I need more compression! The bottom most leaf is totally flat, about 18" long, and 3/4" thick. Can I remove this leaf? I know it will lower the rear a little, but's that's fine. I'd rather have the flex than the height. Please don't mention a shackle flip, longer leafs, etc. I don't have the time or money. Can I remove this overload today? What's involved? /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif

2. TX Mudder

TX Mudder 1/2 ton status

Your have to jack to remove the ubolts and ubolt plate on just that side and jack up the other side so that the leaf on your side and the axle will seperate - if it's been a long time you may need a prybar or something to force the centering pin out of the hole in the spring perch.
    Then you need to take two C-clamps or something similar and use them to hold all the leaves together, except for the one you'll be taking out.
    Now you['ll probably need to grind the head off the nut of the centering pin. You may be able to just use a wrench and get it off - whatever it takes, you will have to replace it anyway so go to town on it.
    With the centering pin put, the bottom leaf should fall down but the rest of the leaves will stay put because your C-clamps are holding them together.
    Get you new centering pin (I buy mine at 4WPW) and put it in with the thread side pointing up. Nut it down and torque it pretty good - use loc tite and don;t over torque it as I have struipped threads on new ones before.
    Cut off the excess threads and then lower the spring back down on the axle. Put the ubolts/ubolt plates back on and you're in business.
    HTH
    -- Mike

3. GMCLegacy

GMCLegacy 1/2 ton status

i wouldnt recomend removing it. that leaf is there to make sure you dont invert your springs. you dont want your springs to be able to compress past horizontal, if this does happen you will damage your main leafs, the main leafs start to become "s" shaped, and will evenually break. i have heard of a few people fliping them upside down, (some have a slight arch to them, i think the overloads changed design a few times through-out the years...) it allows the springs to slighty invert, and more controled versus removing the overload altogether.

4. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

to get a lil more flex, i just flipped the overloads over... they have a slight arch to em...

j

5. DougK20

DougK20 1/2 ton status

Thanks, folks! I will get it pulled this week. The 3/4 ton springs are stiff and I'm not worried about them inverting themselves. The overload spring is perfectly flat. Flipping it over won't make any difference. So, away it goes. I'll post any improvements. Thanks again! Doug /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif