Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Rear panel replacements

Discussion in 'The Body Shop' started by mud hungry, Mar 19, 2005.

1. mud hungry

mud hungry 1/2 ton status

Has anyone replaced the entire rear outside panels on a 84 blazer. what kind of work are we talking about. and does anyone have pictures.
    thanks

2. bablazer73

bablazer73 1/2 ton status

you mean.... like this???
    [​IMG]

3. grimjaw

grimjaw 1/2 ton status

Is there a reasonable way to just remove the outer skin of a rear quarter panel. I have a 85 parts truck I was going to steal the quarters from to fix the PO's hack job on my 79. The front clip seem to be very straight forward. I have a spot weld cutter and grinder, I just need to know where to look for the seams and what to watch out for. Thanks.

4. bablazer73

It might be easier to remove the whole 1/4 if you can. It unbolts on the rear and around the wheel well. The only spot welds to drill out are on the door jamb, and on the inner side of the B pillar.

5. grimjaw

grimjaw 1/2 ton status

Thanks for the reply. The parts truck is just a shell, no engine, trans or diff. I had to chop up the fiberglass rear roof so it would fit in the storage unit I am forced to work in (stupid condos). If the welds are just in the door jam and B pillar this will be very do-able. Thanks.

6. spearchucker

spearchucker 1/2 ton status

It's also spot welded along the floor and rear pilar where the tailgate latches to. Not that difficult to take off, just take your time. Also there's a lip that slides up into the B-pilar about 3/4 of an inch or so. I don't know if that will effect you, but it was in my way when I put a new side panel on.

7. bablazer73

I forgot about the top of the B pillar. Mine was only welded to the top of the 1/4. I drilled the 3 spot welds and pulled the 1/4 down and out. I had no welds in the back. It was bolts only.