Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Rear Pinion Angle ?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Zepplin, Oct 31, 2000.

1. Zepplin

Zepplin 1/2 ton status

I already have Skyjacker rear 6" springs and plan to use it with the rear 4" shackle flip. Will the shim from the rear springs be enough or will I have to install a larger degree shim?

Dazed and Confused in a 74 Blazer

Zeppelin

2. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

Are you saying that you're going to have 10" of lift? Are you going to use a CV driveshaft on the rear? I would think the shackle flip would help tip the pinion up a bit, but I guess it also depends on the arc of the springs at the pad.

Rene

[​IMG]

3. Zepplin

Zepplin 1/2 ton status

Yes, it will have a 10" lift I have a set of 38.5 TSL, as well as a 14 ff rear that I have from a previous truck. I do plan on using a CV driveshaft though. So, the shim that came with the rear 6" springs should be enough with the shackle flip?

Zeppelin

4. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

Well I could be wrong but I've heard that with a CV driveshaft the pinion should point directly at the transfer case, so there is a 0 degree operating angle at the diff. I would probably angle the diff down a bit from that, to compensate for movement on acceleration. So I don't know if the shim you got will be enough. Is it a 4 degree shim? I'm currently using a 4 degree shim with a 4" lift and a regular driveshaft. I should probably have only a 2 1/2 degree shim but I don't have any bad vibes and my U-joints seem to last so what the hell. Anyways with the 4 degree shim I have my diff is almost pointing at the T-case.

Rene

[​IMG]

5. Zepplin

Zepplin 1/2 ton status

Thanks, I believe it to be a 3 degree shim so I may need another degree or too. Thanks again.

Zeppelin