Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Rear Pinion Seal

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by slider, Feb 26, 2003.

1. slider

slider 1/2 ton status

Why in the world did chevrolet use a rear pinion seal on the corporate 12 bolts that does not sit flush??? I am rebuilding my rear axle and have gotten to installing the pinion shaft pulled out the seal from my kit and went to install it, finding that I cannot drive it all the way in. So I pulled it out and thought I was sold the wrong seal. I happened to look at the old seal and noticed that it did not sit flush either. i bought the differential used so i thought someone used the wrong seal also. So I called a buddy and was told Chevy uses a seal that the flange will not sit flush against the housing. So I had to see this on my service manual and it does show the tool installed between the seal and the differential housing acting as a spacer. Every other flange type seal installed sits flat against a housing but this one. What a stupid design. Sorry to rant and rave but that cost me $ 5.00 and an hour getting the seal. /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif