Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

rear pinion

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by GMC4by4, Aug 5, 2000.

1. GMC4by4

GMC4by4 Registered Member

I recently got a vibration in my rear (not flatulence) so I opened the door at 2-3 mph and looked at the rear driveshaft. It was moving a little side to side at the pinion seal and squeaking. The U-joint's good, the pinion seal is shot. The book doesn't mention if there's a bearing in there or just a seal. I just put new axle bearings in...How tough is it to replace whatever is in the pinion area of the rear end? Thanks.

-Rick

2. PattBlue

PattBlue Registered Member

Just did this a week ago. Bought Gm rear yoke and it came with a pinion seal kit. Un-did the driveshaft bolts, took out the rear yoke and used a screwdriver to PRY the metal collar/seal out. Cleaned it with a rag and put the new seal in...don't remember any bearings...put in new yoke and took out the drain plug and put in new 80W-90 gear oil.

3. GMC4by4

Excellent...I'm glad to hear it's that easy, thanks.

-Rick

4. Executioner

Executioner 1/2 ton status

Temp. Ft. Walton Beach Fl. home=Tucson, Az.
    Hum, have you ever heard the term pinion bearing pre-load ?
    If not I would strongly suggest you do !
    Good luck

5. Goose

Goose 1/2 ton status

There is a bearing farther in from the pinion seal. There are also bearings on both ends of the carrier. All three take alot more to change than the bearings at the end of the axle tubes. Hopefully it's not that. Also, all have to have the correct preload in order for the ring and pinion gears to wear properly. This is what makes it more difficult. Do some good research before trying this job yourself, you could end up ruining your ring and pinion gears.

6. GMC4by4

Yeah, I read in the Chilton's manual to check the preload with a torque wrench before disassembling the yoke. Thanks for the info guys.

-Rick