Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Rear power window problem

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by 84gmcjimmy, Apr 24, 2004.

1. 84gmcjimmy

84gmcjimmy 1 ton status

On my 84 Jimmy the switch on the dash for the power rear window wont work. But when I use a key at the tailgate it slowly inches up. Is there something wrong with the wiring between the switch on the dash and the motor in the tailgate? If so how do I figure out where? Thanks

2. pauly383

pauly383 Daddy383 Staff Member Moderator

Broken wire? Dirty connections? Mine is slow but it works(needs new rubber/felt and some grease). I know the inching up problem sounds like dirty parts on the sliding parts and probably dirt connections too. You'll have to check for power into the switch and out of the switch, then work back to the motor and see if it makes it back there. /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif

3. 84gmcjimmy

84gmcjimmy 1 ton status

I'm not good with electrical stuff so how do I check to see if the wires are good? And that they have a current going through? Where does the wire travel from the switch to the tailgate? Under the body? The sliders in the back of mine are really greasy with grime /forums/images/graemlins/mad.gif One day I'll take the tailgate apart and clean it. Thanks /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

4. blabhern

blabhern Newbie

Try popping the switch out and unplugging the wires. Then touch the wires together until you either get the window to roll up or down or you've gone through all possible wire combinations. I say that because I'm not familiar with the wiring. You may only have two or three wires. This will at least tell you if the wiring is good.

5. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

There's basically three wires going into the tailgate if it hasn't been butchered by a P.O.

one plug has the two control wires from the dash switch...brown (is down) and blue (is up)

There is an Orange wire that should be 'hot' all the time so the key switch works without the key in the ignition.

I'd guess the window motor is getting tired, and that all the combined parts that should make it work smoothly need some TLC. There's a drive cable that should be lubed, the regulator itself should be lubed, the side tracks the window ride in should have good felt runners in them, and there are some nylon rollers that sometimes get badly worn on the underside of the window sash.

Of course there's the motor itself too...

Rene

6. fatbob

fatbob 1/2 ton status

Try the easy way first. /forums/images/graemlins/whistling.gif
    Every time mine does that, I replace the fuse.
    It seems the key switch has a different power supply than
    the dash switch.
    Bob