Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Rear Power window problems again

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by TxK5Blazer, Dec 10, 2003.

1. TxK5Blazer

TxK5Blazer 1/2 ton status

I now have lost all power to my window it won't roll down inside or outside. I started at the tailgate and found the wires running out of it. one orange one blue and one grey it looks like...the orange is by itself and the other two are together. there is a plug just under the tailgate I took that plug apart and I am getting now power there. Question should I be getting power there or not? I also looked in my fuse box and none of them are blown. Is it a regular fuse or one of those silver breakers I think they are. This sucks I can't get to my tow ropes or my spare or tools that are backthere. Please help ASAP.....Jason

2. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

Sounds like the switch in the tailgate is bad, the one that cuts power to the mechanism if it "thinks" it's unlatched, thus open.

You can find that switch by unbolting the access panel, and reaching up into the drivers side top corner of the tailgate. The wires plug into that switch. You can "jumper" the two wires going into the switch. That will give the mechanism power all the time.

I bypassed mine on my old truck because it failed, just can't let anyone else thats dumb drive the truck, or forget when your tailgate is down. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Re-reading your post, are you or are you not getting power to that plug underneath the tailgate? I can't tell if you mean no, or that now you are getting power there.

3. reeser

reeser 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    Sounds like the switch in the tailgate is bad, the one that cuts power to the mechanism if it "thinks" it's unlatched, thus open.

You can find that switch by unbolting the access panel, and reaching up into the drivers side top corner of the tailgate. The wires plug into that switch. You can "jumper" the two wires going into the switch. That will give the mechanism power all the time.

I bypassed mine on my old truck because it failed, just can't let anyone else thats dumb drive the truck, or forget when your tailgate is down. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

2 weeks ago i cut out my sensor and it has made all the difference in the world!!! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

4. TxK5Blazer

I am not getting power to that plug under the tailgate ....Jason

5. TxK5Blazer

TTT please guys I am stumped on this one I really am counting on you guys to see me through this....Jason

6. gotmud?

gotmud? 1/2 ton status

should be a silver breaker on top right I think, Is there power at the front switch?

7. TxK5Blazer

I don't think there is power to the front switch because it does not work either....Jason

8. gotmud?

gotmud? 1/2 ton status

pull that front switch and check though. If there's power there then it's a bad wire from there to the rear somewhere, check just before the blue wire goes goes into the tailgate where it splits in 2 cut that old splice out and redo it, worked for me once when mine quit working on both ends.

9. TxK5Blazer

never pulled the switch out how do I go about doing it without breaking the switch apart....Jason

10. Muddytazz

Muddytazz 1 ton status

Easiest way to pull the dash switch, is to pull the ashtray to get to the nuts that hold on the plastic trim around the switch and the switch itself.

11. alec78

alec78 1/2 ton status

I emailed you the wiring diagram, should help.

12. TxK5Blazer

Thanks Alec that does help...Jason

13. laketex

laketex 3/4 ton status

14. ntsqd

ntsqd 1/2 ton status

HEY!!! WHOA!!!! STOP!!!!!

B4 you tear the dash apart, check the wires where they go thru the firewall. On my 'Burb I've had the plug there work loose twice. Kills power to the rear plug and nothing works.

I also elim'd the closed tailgate switch. Wouldn't go back up in Ensenada and that was enough of that ol crap. On my '79 the switch is on the pass side latch.

15. TxK5Blazer

where would that plug be located at in the firewall....Jason

16. TxK5Blazer

Man you were right about the plug on the fire wall I was under the hood today and was taking off my K&N to clean it after our run yesterday got kinda dusty. well I noticed that there was a plug out and wondered what the hell is that. Then I remember your post and look at the wires same color as the ones in the back. Wow now she works from outside and inside. Thanks so much I owe you one man...Jason

17. ntsqd

ntsqd 1/2 ton status

Glad that was an easy fix.

[ QUOTE ]
    where would that plug be located at in the firewall....Jason

[/ QUOTE ]

Mine is btwn the steering column and the driver side exhaust manifold.

18. TxK5Blazer

Mine was located on the fire wall right behind the driverside head...Jason