Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Rear Power Window

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by 8BaLL, Jul 8, 2002.

1. 8BaLL

8BaLL Registered Member

My rear power window sucks. It has never worked properly ever since my mom bought it new in 85. We had them replace the motor a couple times when it was new and it still sucks. How hard is it to convert my power window to a manual window?

2. muddysub

muddysub 1 ton suburban status Staff Member Moderator GMOTM Winner

get a suburban with barn doors. /forums/images/icons/wink.gif

3. smack

smack 1/2 ton status

It's not hard at all. What you need is that scissor mechansism thingy that holds the window and the outside crank -- along with whatever linkages. The glass is the same, and so is the channel. Pull off that inner gate panel and from there it's pretty self expanatory. Take care when removing the locking mechanism and try to get the keys that go with the lock.
    Someone here needs to market a torque doubler for that damned motor!!

4. 8BaLL

8BaLL Registered Member

The motor in mine pretty much is worthless. Like I said we have had it replaced a couple times when it was a lot newer but it never did anything. The motor works one day and other days it wont but when it does it works really really slow. My dad's buddy at the dealership said that the motor gm puts in them is too small?? anyone heard that? There should be an aftermarket motor that is larger then if that is true.

5. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

The motor isn't what makes 'em slow. There's a cable that transfers power from the motor to the window mechanism. It's like a very short speedometer cable. The grease in that cable gets gummed up and then the motor can barely turn it. Replace the cable and the window should go up and down as fast as the other windows. /forums/images/icons/cool.gif

6. bryguy00b

bryguy00b 3/4 ton status

what do you do if all your windows are slow...my front two windows are really slow.and my rear i cant get to work at all..

Bryan

7. HarryH3

For the side windows, you probably need to open up the doors and lube the window tracks really well. I use an aerosol lithium grease. /forums/images/icons/cool.gif

8. jc71355

jc71355 1/2 ton status

My back window is the fastest of all of them. My fronts can't make it all the way up or down with out some help. I sprayed my front one's with some WD40 type stuff and it helped for a day or so now they are back to the way they were. As soon as I can get the door panels off I'm gonna clean where the wires hook into the motor and clean the track out where the rollers go. Hopefully this will help.

James

9. HarryH3

I've found WD40 to be useless as a lubricant. It dries up too quickly. Once you have the doors opened up, spray the window channels (down inside the doors) with white lithium grease. You can get it in a spray can that makes this an easy chore. The grease will stay there for a long time. The only thing I use WD40 for any more is removing adhesive residue and drying out a wet distributor cap. /forums/images/icons/wink.gif