Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Rear Power Windows Suck!! (and a question)

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by schwank, Oct 4, 2002.

1. schwank

schwank Registered Member

Alright so far in the last 6 months my Tailgate Lockout Switch went bad(took it out of wiring scheme) and then my motor to gearing cable busted.

Just received a new cable out of LMC catalog... except where the cable inserts into the motor... the cable is not big enough. The stock cable grips fine, but when runnin the new cable the motor collar spins around without moving the cable.

Is it the motor collar being worn, or has anyone else had a trouble with repro cables? Don't have a micrometer handy so I can't measure the size, but the repro has noticably more rounded corners than the OEM... hmmmm.

2. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

Just got a repro rear window seal(the window you are dealing with) from LMC, and no, it was not made correctly.

I'm calling them Monday, and offering to send them the pieces off of a GM seal, if they promise me they will fix the problem, and not sell pieces like the one I have.

The "felt" covering that is apparently bonded to the rubber was already wearing off in the package. I saw right off the bat that the channel the window rides in is not the same "width" all the way around (wider near the bottom) and GM used different clips there. I decided I would spread the clips out to compensate, but again, comparing them to the GM ones that were STILL stuck in the top (the LMC one will not grip the fiberglass) the LMC metal clips are made of very soft (it needs to be very stiff) metal, and bend instead of digging in.

So in short, you are *probably* dealing with a defective design. Still holds true, that although GM IS selling crappier replacement parts, if you need something, if GM still makes it, pay the extra money for their stuff. Make sure that you verify the problem IS due to the less than correct specs of the LMC piece, then KINDLY contact them, and tell them there is a problem in design, and how it needs to be fixed. As far as I've seen, some of this stuff can't be purchased anywhere else, and if it can be, its probably ALL from the same factory. LMC is doing a great job in providing repro parts, but I will not just accept shoddy aftermarket pieces, and I hope they care enough to have changes made.

3. Tice

Tice Registered Member

i had the same problem. so i sent it back and got one from the dealer, now its better than new( i guess i was only 3 when my k5 was built). /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif