Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Rear quarter panel

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by cegusman, Jul 30, 2002.

1. cegusman

cegusman 3/4 ton status

My friend needs a drivers side rear quarter panel for his 88 k5, is there any company out there that makes a good quality replacement, he does not want fiberglass or the LMC thin metal.

2. Blazer_Boy

Blazer_Boy 1/2 ton status

Bahahahaha, ahahahhah, wait, hahahaha /forums/images/icons/laugh.gif Sorry. They are a pain to find! I had to look all over and was b!tching about no one having them in stock. HarryH3 noticed and I bought a used pair from him. I checked everywhere except LMC and I was getting some headway with cert-fit at their chicago location. I bet I called a dozen places trying to find that driver's side. GM showed one left in stock in Maryland, but the dealer there says they don't have one. Good luck!

3. jc71355

jc71355 1/2 ton status

I know Classic Industries sells them, I don't how they compare to LMC's but it's an option.

4. ColAdo82K5

ColAdo82K5 1/2 ton status

I have some pictures of my quarters in the process of being put on. THey are actually called "wheel opening patch panels" but they are almost the entire quarter. They are used for pickups or subs so they are very simple to fit on. THe catch is that they stand 1.5 inchs taller in the wheel well so you must trim the inner well a little to make it fit. The best part is that the panel costs........

$30 !!
    Conmpared to $270 plus for a full panel it is well worth it. I can e-mail pictures to those interested. Or if some one reminds me where to upload them on this site.
    E-mail for pics
    Blake

5. cegusman

cegusman 3/4 ton status

Please email pics.

6. Blazer_Boy

I've got a few pics with my whole quarter off if you want to see them too. Its on my page under trucks and blazer now.

To pull them off, you have to....

Hit all the spot welds in the door jamb. Take off the hard top, look at the corner where the quarter and and cab meet there is a little flap with on top of the quarter, drill those welds out. Take off the side trim panel on the inside and there welds on that top lip. There are welds in the strip between the tailgate and park light, they go all the way up and down. There are also two little pea sized welds on top of the tailgate posts. Last are the welds in the lip on the wheel well openings.

Some spot welds are hard to see and running some sandpaper over the area may help you to see them.

7. bryguy00b

bryguy00b 3/4 ton status

well what about the inner part of the quarter panals thats on the inside of the truck..wear could you replace those? cuase thats what the seat belt bolts to and everything right..and thats the area thats getting shotr on mine..

Bryan

8. cegusman

cegusman 3/4 ton status

Thanks everyone, my friend found one at a junk yard allready removed from a k5 with no rust

9. Blazer_Boy

I think I already tried blabbed about that piece to you, didn't I? Ive got one new GM side panel where the lower part of the seat belt bolts to. Mine was so far gone that I just used a sawzall and a cut off wheel to remove the old one.

10. fr8train

fr8train 1/2 ton status

I have gotten 3 of the LMC panels and they fit ....with modifications. They seem to be a bit larger than the OEM piece, so much better than smaller. I have one sitting in the box waiting to go on now.

11. bryguy00b

bryguy00b 3/4 ton status

well when i under go this progect, like taking all the seats and carpet and interior out ill see just how bad the floor and everything is, and see what needs to be fixed..i dont really wanna look /forums/images/icons/tongue.gif haha, but its gatta be done!

Bryan