Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

rear quarter panel

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by fr8train, Aug 30, 2000.

1. fr8train

fr8train 1/2 ton status

I have the new panel. How much trouble am I lookng at? I am going to get a shop to put it in so basically what the question is, how long is this going to take? Should I avoid the wait and put in myself? Its a 88 K5.

2. D2Customs

D2Customs Registered Member

I assume that you are referring to the whole rear quarter. Putting one on is really no big deal. All you need is a spot weld cutter that goes on the end of drill. And a welder to spot weld the new one back in.

Take the top off, remove any interior trim panels, remove rear tail light, remove the (2) supports rods inside the fenderwell, and any other misc that might be holding it in place. If it is on the gas tank side, remove any screw that may be holding it in.

Drill/cut out all the welds and talk the old one off. There will be a few places that may have to grind of chisel off a weld, such as around the tail lenses area, etc.

Pre-drill some holes in the new one for your spot welds and start placing in on. Checking everything for fitment before welding. Work your way around the quarter, always checking fitment after each weld.

After you have placed the quarter, welded it in place, then you can grind the welds down flush and use some body-filler to smooth out the welded areas, and then primer and paint.

So, now you make the call, as to wether you want to do it or not. If you don't do it, maybe you could remove everything else for the bodyshop and save some money.

If it is an aftermarket panel, you may have trouble getting it to match up perfectly: some do and some don't.

Later
    Danny

BTW, if you were referring to a patch panel, then disregard everything I said!!

http://www.d2customs.coloradok5.com/custom.html

3. fr8train

fr8train 1/2 ton status

Its a panel that I orderd from LMC. It should be an aftermarket, no GM labels or print on huge box. Is the fitment of these things really that bad? When measuring up panel to body what key measurements shouldI be looking at?
    Its the gas door side. Also when removing panels are there any regions that need to be siliconed sealed? Should fitment be done after tack welding for cap fit? I really do like working on my Jimmy. I jut dont want to get to the point of no return on the body.