Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Rear quarters

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by bwoodard, Feb 6, 2002.

1. bwoodard

bwoodard Registered Member

I have to replace the rear quarters on my 86 Blazer is there any welding or is it like the rest of the body pannels and it is bolted on?

2. possum

possum Registered Member

I believe it is welded. I also believe they can cost a bundle. If you can find them. Otherwise I would have put new ones on mine rather than repair pieces.

<a target="_blank" href=http://community.webshots.com/user/possum1970>78 K5</a>
    we're not always who we are

3. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

They're spot welded inside the door frame and back at the tailgate. There's also a weld where the quarter meets the top. The area around the wheel wells is held in place with bolts.

<font color=black>HarryH3 - '75 K5</font color=black>
    <a target="_blank" href=http://www.angelfire.com/super/ThunderTruck>www.angelfire.com/super/ThunderTruck</a>
    It's a great day to be alive...

4. NoSmog73

NoSmog73 1/2 ton status

Check out blazerboy (I think) he is the one that has some pics of the removal on the rear quarters ( I too will be doing mine soon and I will take some pics and post soon)

5. 73 K5 Blazer

73 K5 Blazer 1/2 ton status

I have removed both rear quater panels on my 73. They weld on at the door, rear post and inside behind the door. My new rears are full inner and outter. There are bolts along the bed and inner wheel well. I have not installed the new quaters yet but will post some pictures when I get around to installing them.

6. Blazer_Boy

Blazer_Boy 1/2 ton status

DON"T DO IT!!!!!!!!!!!

(j/k)

OK, with that being stated...haha. Actually the deal is that production has ceased on these panels and it is unknown if they'll start again. I got a lead on a driver's side one from certi-fit in chicago. I didn't look for the passenger because I didn't need it. Get the panels before you do any work. I got over anxious and pulled my driver's panel and then looked for parts. I frantically looked for one and low and behold, HarryH3 happened upon me. I have an uncle who lives in the same town as him and is picking them up for me.

When you have the new panels in your hand, here's what ya do... Open your door and look at all the little indents on the front of the panel, its time to drill. Get a dril bit from eastwood company for removing spot welds. (they have a free catalog), that will make things look neater and go faster) After doing a bizillion of those welds, go inside and take of the trim panel in the back. Look on the top lip of panel inside for more welds. I just found a couple welds, drilled them out, and started to pry the thing up because then the remaining welds began to stand out because of the indent that appears when you bend the freed metal. Then look outside by the wheel housing, thats right, more welds. That lip is where the welds are at. Then there is a vertical row in back by the gap of the tailgate and tail lights. If you can't see them, then try sanding the area deep and they should apear. One more place, pull of your top and look on top the panel near the front, two or three more welds up top, very easy to spot.

Once all the welds are free, pick up on the back of the panel and lift it vertical. Then pull back, and its off. Then you have to go after all the holes you made with a welder and grinder to fill things back up. This is where I'm at now. It should now be a matter of sliding it on and spot welding it in. This should go alot faster and easier.

Check ouy my profile for a link to my pages where I have pics.

<a target="_blank" href=http://www.geocities.com/bigkern76>The Blazer Boy Page</a>

7. NoSmog73

NoSmog73 1/2 ton status

LMC still has them in there catalog should I call to see if they still have them????????????? I need them to.

8. Blazer_Boy

Blazer_Boy 1/2 ton status

Well I'll be! I forgot all about that. You see I had my mind made up that LMC was screwing people on the prices on almost everything. Look at the edelbrock and crane stuff they're selling, its like LMC's purchase cost would be the same as if I were to buy it at the store. I bought an OEM tailgate from the dealer for $375 and LMC goes for $450. These prices are according to my winter 2000 catalog, so I'm sure things have gone up. Around $250 for aftermarkets panels seem fair (again, using my outdated catalog). Call them and find out, anywhere you can get them is a good place.

<a target="_blank" href=http://www.geocities.com/bigkern76>The Blazer Boy Page</a>