Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Rear Seat Access

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by 73k5blazer, Feb 3, 2002.

1. 73k5blazer

73k5blazer Unplug the matrix cable from the back of your head Premium Member

I'm requesting some help...

I need to know, rather it would be helpful to know, what different types of rear seat access methods GM has used in the K5's, or what anyone else has come up with.
    On my all fiberglass body '73, I'm making the seats bolt to a sub cage (3/4" or 1" tube steel) off the main cage. I've been playing with how I can best make it so it interfers the least with access to the rear seat.

On my original '73's , they have low back buckets. The whole seat is hinged on the front of the base and flips forward with a lever on the back of the seat. On the floor there is only a small (1.5"x1.5") locating bracket for a pin on the bottom back of the seat.
    Now, I've aquired an interior out of a '91 K5, it has High back buckets, making the whole seat flip forward design no good because the headrest hits the windshield before you have enough room to get in.
    On these seats, it seems, just that the seat slides forward when the seatback is folded forward, leaving the risers impeding access.
    Is this right? I don't remember having to negotiate these risers getting into my dad's old '90(he sold it many years ago..)
    Are there other things GM did other than these two methods?

The best Idea I have so far is to unbolt the risers and and bolt/weld the sliders right to my fabricated sub cage, which will impede access a little more than the riser method, but not much. I have it mocked in brake line right now, and it's not too bad, just wondering what else I can do. I don't want to come through the floor with anything, that presents problems with the body mounting and roll cage mounting systems that I've so intricatly designed (pictures coming soon...don't worry...) and with sealing..

Thanks in advance for your help.

BlazerMan

2. chevyfumes

chevyfumes Court jester

Probably not what your lookin' for but you could just recline the seat a little first and then flip it forward and that way it wouldn't hit the windshield... If nothing else I wanted to keep this thread alive a little longer and watch the brain storming...[​IMG]

<font color=blue> I'd rather have a bottle in front of me, than a frontal lobotomy!

3. k5king

k5king 1/2 ton status

ok,,i hate to say it,,but the best design i saw for getting into the back seat on a truck like this,,come from the ford bronco's. the 80's style has a bench seat,,and it's split in the middle,,all you do is reach back,,and the backrest folds forward and into the middle of the seat at like a 45 degree angle.it doesn't flip or fold down,,but the outside corner fold's over to the center,,kinda hard to splain if you haven't seen it.but it does give you access from both drive and passenger sides of the truck. my pop's 86 had these seats in it and so did our earlier one ( 81 or 83 ? )

<font color=purple>ANYBODY LOSE THEIR JEEP????????[​IMG]
    I JUST FOUND ONE UNDER MY BLAZER!!!![​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG]</font color=green>

4. laketex

laketex 3/4 ton status

I just finished mounting a pair of '00 Ford contour seats to my rollcage this weekend. I'll have pics up tonight. But all I did was modify the sliders on those seats, make a bracket that I welded onto them, and a matching bracket that welded on the cage. That way they're a bolt on deal in case I ever want them out again. And I will, I'm sure. Anyway, the low back seat would flip forward, but with 12" of slider action, they slide almost to the dash, and then the backs tilt forward. Pics soon.

Sherman, Tx
    <font color=red>The blazer's almost on the road....anyone got tree fiddy?</font color=red>

5. Grim-Reaper

Grim-Reaper 3/4 ton status Author

You know those big Contico boxes that a lot of us use for our junk. About 36 inches wide 22 deep and about 20 high? I can load one of those through my passenger side door. [​IMG] Seat is bolted to the roll cage sub frame under the floor.
    My seats are the center captains chairs out of a mid 90's Mitsubishi Mini Van. The have double armrests, fully recline and spin.

Women dig dents and flat paint!
    coloradok5.com/gallery/Grim
    75 Jimmy, Dollar
    Grim-Reaper