Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Rear seat, Fold & Roll?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Fry, Jun 12, 2004.

1. Fry

Fry 1/2 ton status

Just wondering if anyone has put one of those seats that fold together and roll ahead like a van or something in thier K5? I want a back seat in my blazer but also go camping and sleep in the back so I need the room. This idea has been floating around in my head since I bought my blazer and am thinking that it might be something I want to tackle. So I'm just wondering if anyone has any thoughts or ideas on how to make it work or what vehicles to steal the seats or brackets from?
    Thanks

2. jjlaughner

jjlaughner 3/4 ton status

I've been thinking about that also but it would take some hefty floor mods to make room for the rear seat to fold flat /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

3. Fry

Fry 1/2 ton status

I was thinking if it could roll right up and sit folded behind the front seats

4. smprider112

smprider112 1/2 ton status

I dont know if older blazer do this....but my 85, the seat folds down first, then folds up to rest right behind the front seats...leaves alot of room in the back...if yers doesnt do this, you may wanna look into just getting a newer rear seat outta a newer blazer.

5. Fry

Fry 1/2 ton status

I have the seat for mine but no mounts or anything, it was tossed in the back of the truck when I bought it and I took it out when I got home so its possible that the stock mounts might be good for me.
    Anybody know where to get mounts?

6. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

no idea where to get the mounts, junkyard? As stated both my 84 and 85 folded down and then rolled forward like you are talking about.

7. dremu

dremu Officious Thread Derailer Premium Member

Just so you know, pre-78 seats bolted down, and the floor pan was different, so fitting a later-model fold down seat into a pre-78 truck is ... not a bolt-in proposition. It'd mean cutting holes in the floor board and welding in the snap points for the new style seat, at the least.

I find that undoing the four bolts for the seat (and the two for the belts) is easy, when you want to move the seat.

Now... I *think* the mounting bolts are the same front as back, so you *could* scoot the seat forward and put the seat's back brackets in the existing front holes and it might just fit, just short of the front seats. You'd hafta drill a coupla holes for the new front positions, weld a nut underneath or something... couple that with retrofitting a fold-down mechanism to the seat, hmm.

Back In The Day, Hickey sold an aftermarket fold-down seat kit for the factory rear seat on these Blazers, wish I could find one now.

-- A

8. Fry

Fry 1/2 ton status

thanks for the info. I'm not sure what I'm going to do. Probably just find some mounts and remove when I go camping and stick in when I go with friends.

9. CyberSniper

CyberSniper 1/2 ton status Premium Member

I think the 79 and up ones do just that. I know my 79K5 has a "fold and tumble" seat. You can fold it up, roll it forward on the front hinges, and it gets propped up using a rod that locks that is mounted to the passenger wheelwell.

If you can find out what you need to do it I'll try to save the parts off my K5 before I start cutting it up.

10. shane74

shane74 1/2 ton status

I have a '74 /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif that I put a newer version back seat in. It was actually very easy to do. The front bolt holes are the same on a newer seat as the stock seat. You will have to modify your rear floor for the back brackets. Not a big deal. You can either go to a junk yard and pull the floor mounting brackets from a suburban or make your own. Getting them from the junkyard is easier, but I made my own and welded them in. The seat works great and only sits about 1/2 lower than the stock seat does for our year rigs. Click the link in my sig and it'll take you to some pics of what I did. It took me all of 1 hour to weld up the brackets, and approx. 1/2 hr to install them and the seat. Makes for a nice little weekend project. /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

11. darkshadow

darkshadow 1 ton status

what about fitting in a seat from a sub?
    /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

12. shane74

shane74 1/2 ton status

You can do it, but then you'd need to make front and rear brackets. I wish the back seat in my /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif was a flip ' fold like in my /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif. Taking that thing out when I need the room is a PITA. I wish I could just fold it up and out of the way.