Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

rear seat quick release

Discussion in '1969-1972 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by twosnvrlose, Nov 6, 2006.

1. twosnvrlose

twosnvrlose Registered Member

I was thinking of installing a quick release for my rear seat I was thinking about going to wreckers and trying to find a 80's something suburban that has the 3rd row seat as I remember they had some kind of release system. I was wondering if any one else has tried this? and if they have how did it work? or any other idea's for a quick release?

2. IGOR

IGOR 1/2 ton status Premium Member

My wife's 01 Expedition has a pretty nice easy setup - and the rear seat is about the same size

3. noahrob

noahrob 1/2 ton status Author

I run a newer 80's style seat from a Blazer, the previous previous owner,cut the boxes for the quick release into the floor. Works well

4. 2Dogs

2Dogs 1/2 ton status Premium Member

I use a fold and tumble rear seat - have you thought about that option? I'll point you to pics if you are interested.

5. twosnvrlose

I think I want the seat to be totally removable but tea I wouldn't mind seeing picks of the folding ones. maybe I should put it on rails of some kind so I can adjust were it sits any thoughts?

6. 2Dogs

2Dogs 1/2 ton status Premium Member

I have the frame for my fold and tumble with 4 tabs to the cage - I take it out for sleeping and trips without the kiddo ;)

The first link will show good pics of the tabs for the Bestop fold and tumble seat. The second will show after it was mod'ed to make it removable.
    http://coloradok5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=160385
    http://coloradok5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=161247

7. twosnvrlose

Looks good nice looking cage nice and clean I don't have the folding seat in the rear but the mount that you have looks good. I was thinking some thing like a 5th wheel rail with some kind of locks that it can be slid and locked into place. thanks for the pics and the new idea's

8. Greg72

Greg72 "Might As Well..." Staff Member Super Moderator

I'm planning to do a removeable seat in mine too...

Since I typically sleep in the back of the K5 when I wheel/camp, I still want a flat floor with no tubes in the way. The idea I have is to build custom mounts on the stock seat (maybe a later flip forward if I can make it look "vintage") with bushings and quick release pins like swaybar disconnects use.

The trick is to incorporate the seat frame into the rear rollcage mounts to form a "cradle" effect, so that when I pull the pins out I can remove the seat and all the attachment hardware completely. Most custom rear seat mounts use two cradle bars horizontally which breaks up the floor area (and creates a trip hazard!).

One of my many ideas on a long "to do" list........someday.

9. twosnvrlose

I agree it has to look stock and remove completely I don't want any thing sticking out of my floor when its removed

10. Musclerodz

Musclerodz 1/2 ton status

I will be doing this mod as well. I have a brand new 3 row out of an '88 burb and the floor brackets for it as well.

Mike