Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Rear Seat Seatbelt R&R

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by JW86, Oct 10, 2002.

1. JW86

JW86 Registered Member

86 K5 original rear bench seat belt - anyone know how to take it out of the seat (pass side) and is there anywhere to get a new one? old one is jammed (this is the type that works backwards where the buckle moves from the midddle to the outside of the seat to the clip) tired of people falling out the back! Help please. Thanks! /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif

2. Cmoe

Cmoe 1/2 ton status

Find one in the junk yard is the best thing to do. There are two bolts that hold the back rest on the seat bottom. You'll need to remove the back rest and then there is a bolt by the rear center release that need to be removed and the belt will pull strait up away from the seat bottom. Revers to install the new one.... When you buy the replacement you need to make sure you get the one that mates up with yours. Two differt styles that were put in the K-5 one is wider than the other.

3. cdh

cdh Registered Member

You don't have to replace the jammed seat belt, you can fix it. Remove the seat belt from the seat and drill out the two rivets on the bottom of the plastic cover. Swing the bottom of the cover open. You will see the teeth on the side of the drum that retracts the seat belt. There is a bar that mates with the teeth to stop the drum from spinning. Take a screwdriver and move the bar away from the teeth, and pull the seat belt out to clear the jam.

Your seat belt is probably twisted inside the drum and it screwed everything up. When you take the cover off you will be able to see where it is twisted. You might have to use some brute force to get the seat belt to pull out. I fixed my seat belt a couple of months ago and have not had any problems.

4. JW86

JW86 Registered Member

THANKS Much! I'l pull it apart and see whats up in there!!
    gotta get it back from the shop today with a new cat converter - discovered its illegal not to have one on the street!!!! Ran just fine without it?? /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif

5. cdh

cdh Registered Member

I forgot to mention on my fisrt post that you might have to retract the seat belt a little to get it to pull out. After you have pulled the bar away from the teeth, try and push the drum backwards to retract the belt. This will give you some slack. Then give it a good pull.

Good Luck