Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

rear seat swap?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by ratpack7, Jun 21, 2001.

1. ratpack7

ratpack7 Guest

Has anyone tried to swap out the bolt in seat on the pre 75's for a fold up seat from
    a newer model? And how hard is it?

Pretty looks good trying but ugly get the job done.

2. Grim-Reaper

Grim-Reaper 3/4 ton status Author

The big problem you will face is when GM went to the fold and tumble seat 2 things happend. 1st being the floor was different. The truck got a rear sear foot well. This is important because the seat sits lower to the floor than the older models. It will make it uncomfortable for adults since the pre 78's will not have anywhere for your feet to drop down into. It also alows the seat to drop below the level of the bed floor when you fold it.
    Next issue is that the seats lock into the floor. There are wells with a bar for the latch to hook into that would need to be welded in. On my 79 this HAS to be there because the seat belts stay with the seat when if is folded to get them off the cargo floor.
    I think the easiest way to get a fold and tumble seat may be to get the back seat out of a Jeep. Build a short pedistal and bolt the belts to the floor in the existing holes. Seat would be narrow but would not require welding and other work.
    A third seat from a Suburban may also be a option. Not sure how it attaches to the floor but it may be a bolt down arangment.

It's not my damn planet monkey boy!
    Grim-Reaper

3. ratpack7

ratpack7 Guest

Thanks I hadnt thought about the drop off. Maybe I'll just leave in the old seat ? I just have a 79 parts truck and I thought it would be nice to be able to fold the seat when I needed the cargo space.

Pretty looks good trying but ugly get the job done.

4. prjt_blzr

prjt_blzr 1/2 ton status

I've done this to my '77. Grim is right about the floor drop off. You can put adults in the rear seat for about an hour before they are getting cramped. I rarely have more than two people in the vehicle but I've done four. To put the seat in you need the latch pins from a donor vehicle. I cut mine about 12" x 12" from a donor vehicle and then cut two small holes in the floor of my Blazer. I then welded the new pieces in on the top and bottom. When I flip the rear seat up it latches at a 90* angle to the floor flush up against the front seats. If your not hauling a lot of people on a regular basis this works pretty good. If you want to haul a bunch of folks on a 500 mile trip the folks in bakc are not going to like you.

5. sean72

sean72 Registered Member

if you don't want to go through all the trouble, keep the seat you have and replace the 4x bolts with hood pins/clips, this is what I did and it works great, when I need the cargo space unclip and move the seat out, takes less than 5 minutes..