Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Rear shackle angle

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by dremu, Dec 3, 2005.

1. dremu

dremu Officious Thread Derailer Premium Member

So after some fiddling, here are my homemade shackles on my rear 56"s. They are about the size of the ORD ubershackles, i.e. ~6" center to center. The packs were out of my 1-ton, so I removed the overloads and one or two leaves, leaving (as it were) six. It's hung on an ORD flip, switched left-to-right, in the factory holes.

Anyway, pic attached with the truck on stands under the axles, i.e. at normally loaded sprung weight.

Seems close to vertical, but then the only way to change it much involves moving the ORD flips, which I am loathe to do 'cuz I hate dropping the tank. At least it won't go flat, I'm sure of that!

Opines gladly accepted. Flames cheerfully ignored, including questions as to why a ratcheting strap is holding a tarp on the truck.

-- A

shackleangle.jpg

2. koldsimer

koldsimer 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

The angle looks good enough. I would want to see how it looked with the hangers on the right side. I think that with that flat of a spring, you aren't gonna see much shackle swing. I'd guess an inch and a half total. Your definately giving up some droop with where they sit now. But you also gain a little more lift and generally have a better pinion angle.... give and take. Are those just pieces of flat bar that you used for your shackles? I though about making some like that but i went ahead and ordered the ord heavy duty shackle. Are you worried that they will bend the shackle or the hanger if the truck is really twisted up? And how did you mount the rubber bushings if it is just flat bar? Got some more pics of it?

3. dremu

What's
    that mean? You mean I should put the shackle flips back where they were? (Aaaaaargh :) )

Didn't think about the droop ... though the springs are fairly flexy, so we'll see.

Mine are actually modelled on that ORD shackle; they're 1/4" flat stock on the sides with a thick-wall tube on the end, that the bushing sits in ... then more 1/4" flat stuff on one side to reinforce.

So, no, I'm not worried about them bending. Yeah, if they were just flat stock I'd be nervous ... guess I took that pic absolutely straight on, huh? Anyway, here's a different angle.

-- A

rearshackles.jpg

4. redneckdude

redneckdude 1/2 ton status

Even if the springs are flexy, id want more droop...my shackle angle will be about 75 degrees from vertical...lol...63s will be fairly flat as it is so i gotta make up for the droop somewhere.

5. dremu

And moving the pivot point forward (i.e. un-swapping the flips) would get me more droop ability?

-- A

6. redneckdude

it should do that pretty well. I believe that theres 2-3" difference in the hanger eye position by switching sides which would bring that shackle eye foward 2-3" and should put you right about where you wanna be to gain that extra droop but you will loose an inch or so of heigth. I know for me itll be worth it.

7. dremu

Height I don't care about ... I hacked my fenders to get rid of rust more than clear the tires (i.e. I could fit 42"s, I suspect :eek1: ) ... but GAWD I hate dropping the tank :D Ah well, easy enough to do.

-- A

8. koldsimer

koldsimer 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

I have had to drop my tank at least 6 times this year. It's one of those things that isn't really hard but it's just such a pain. Nice job on the shackle design. I think that the 2" difference of switching sides would put you near perfect. One way to find out....

9. redneckdude

go for it then mang. When i did my shackle flip the first time i got away with just lowering the tank some but not totally dropping it. once you get the straps off its not that hard to get ur arm in there...sure its not the easiest thing, but even my fatass arm would go in and do what i needed...and it wasn't such a bitch getting the tank back up...

This last time i did have to drop my tank, and yes that was a bitch. My float had been messed up inside for almost 2 years so i wanted to see what the deal was so i just totally dropped it. I learned one "fairly" easy way to get it back up in there is to use some wire...on mine there were 2 holes in the crossmember in front of the tank, more inboard than the holes for teh straps, and 2 holes on the rear crossmember that were right about the same distance apart...tie it up on the front crossmember and start lifting the tank by hand (or foot)...pull the wire tight, tie it up and do it on the other side. Takes a little while but if you have a jack thats too short like me, then you gotta get creative. It worked, not the most purdy thing, but it worked well enough for me. Much better than trying to balance that damn tank 1/4 full of gas on a floor jack.

10. 79k20350

79k20350 3/4 ton status

i have 56" springs and extended shackles, about 6" and the angle is real steep but works really well. tons of droop and more than enough up travel (stock 56's dont need much)

Flat bed, lift 001.jpg

11. dremu

And yours won't go flat and lock at full stuff?

-- A