Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Rear shackle bushings

Discussion in 'OffRoad Design' started by Mastiff, Aug 9, 2003.

1. Mastiff

Mastiff 1/2 ton status Premium Member

How tight should the shackle fit into the hangar? When I put the ORD bushings in and tried to reinstall the shackle, it was really tight, like I had to use a rubber mallet to get it in place. Is that right? I eventually decided to try and spread the hangar a little to make some more clearance. I only did a marginal job, spreading it kind of like a "V". Now it's tight, but not so tight I couldn't squeeze it in by hand. I'm not sure if I did the right thing, but I still have the other side to go, so maybe I can do a better job there...

2. Stephen

Stephen 1/2 ton status Moderator Vendor

The manufacturing tolerances on the shackles probably weren't too tight so it's not uncommon for you to have some interference there. You can measure it all up, the flip bracket should measure 3" inside and that's what your bushings should end up outside to outside. If the shackle material is a bit wide, it would be tight going in.

3. Mastiff

Mastiff 1/2 ton status Premium Member

[ QUOTE ]
    The manufacturing tolerances on the shackles probably weren't too tight so it's not uncommon for you to have some interference there. You can measure it all up, the flip bracket should measure 3" inside and that's what your bushings should end up outside to outside. If the shackle material is a bit wide, it would be tight going in.

[/ QUOTE ]

So should I just mallet it in, or would it be better to spread it some so it's not so tight?

4. Stephen

Stephen 1/2 ton status Moderator Vendor

A little of each maybe? You could also take a sander to the end of the bushing if you had to. It sounds like your talking about a few thousandths of interference.