Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

rear shackle flip, driveshaft angle?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by ugly_blazer, May 13, 2004.

1. ugly_blazer

ugly_blazer 1/2 ton status

I noticed that the rear shackle flip seems to be pretty popular around here. I would guess that this points the pinion more toward the t-case. I was wondering /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif if this changes the angle of the pinion enough as to cause too much of an angle difference between the two u-joints and cause vibration?

Does the "homemade" cutting torch version provide as much lift as the kits? Does it work as well?

2. mccomas

mccomas 1/2 ton status

it seems like everyone's rig acts a bit different. when i did the ORD flip, I had a small bit of vibration but fixed it right up with a small shim. when i staked 2 inch springs on top of the flip, i changed the driveline to a CV from high angle. i would think that with the homemade flip you would need more of a shim…

3. pauly383

pauly383 Daddy383 Staff Member Moderator

I have the echobit flip , and the angle of the joint at the transfercase was the worst. I run a rear CV to cope with mine. But my rear came up higher than expected as my springs are in great shape. /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif

4. thor

thor 1/2 ton status

I used homebrew front hangers in the rear and swapped to 56" springs for 6", this is with a fixed yoke 205 to a 14bff. I can't speak for anybody else but I ended up with a 17 degree working angle on the front ujoint, while the rear was 0, I don't think you can shim that. I fixed it with a $350.00 dennys cv shaft.

5. ugly_blazer

ugly_blazer 1/2 ton status

Thanks for the replies. I don't really want to buy a cv shaft for the rear so I guess I'll just keep the 5.5" springs and 2" block for a while.

6. Blue85

Blue85 Troll Premium Member

The shackle flip won't give you any worse U-joint angles than running the same height blcok will. You just have to run a pinion shims or have the spring mounts re-welded. The shackle fip generally changes the pinion angle by 7-8 degrees, at least for a 4" flip. This is just basic geometry. You would also be able to subtract from that whatever angle your blocks already have on them. I run the homemade flip and for me the correct agles came from 5.5 degrees of shim and a 1" transfer case drop. This gave me about 12 degrees in each U-joint. Your solution could be a little different.

7. tree_entz

tree_entz 1/2 ton status

my ord flip set my angles fine! it might be cause it's a short box though.

8. Poohbair

Poohbair 1/2 ton status

I run an Echobit flip w/ reversed 57's, no shims, and my pinion angle is beautiful...

9. Blue85

Blue85 Troll Premium Member

If your front spring hanger doesn't move and you lower the rear eye of the spring, the pinion angle changes. It doesn't matter what brand or type of shackle flip you choose. It only matters how far down that rear spring eye is moving (i.e. 2x the lift you gain). Whether the resulting angle is "right" or "wrong" depends on the set up of your truck, etc. Generally, a shackle flip sets up the rear pinion about right for a C/V driveshaft, which is completely different than how you want it set up for a non-C/V.

10. tree_entz

tree_entz 1/2 ton status

reversed 57's?
    /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif
    please enlighten me

11. Poohbair

Poohbair 1/2 ton status

Ford 57's mounted backwards. Stretches the wheelbase out about 6-7 inches. I was really worried about pinion angle when I first did it, but I bolted it up and it is perfect!

12. tree_entz

tree_entz 1/2 ton status

you got any pics of that????
    are those regular f150 springs? did you read about it somewhere or were you just like....hey i'll bet i can...

13. Poohbair

Poohbair 1/2 ton status

I had read/heard about running 57's, but I had not heard of anyone running them backwards. Now that I have done it, I know that there are a few other people running them backwards... not sure who did it first... Here are a couple of pics for you.
    [​IMG]

This is a really old picture, but it shows how the axle sits in the wheel wells better than any of the newer pics that I have. I have been running this setup for about 18 months now and don't have any complaints.
    [​IMG]

14. tree_entz

tree_entz 1/2 ton status

what about the actual shackle? is that from teh ford? does the center pin still line up?

15. Poohbair

Poohbair 1/2 ton status

They are aftermarket axles, and the center pin lines up 2" back from where it was supposed to be...