Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

rear shackle flip question

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by original balzer, Jul 8, 2005.

1. original balzer

original balzer 1/2 ton status

my truck is a 77 gmc its basicaly a daily driver and work truck i was wondering if the shackle flip was worth it for such a vehicle does ride quality improove much or not it dont need to flex much just looking for ride quality
    since its pritty stiff

2. resurrected_jimmy

resurrected_jimmy 1/2 ton status

Flipping the shackles is not going to improve your ride quality much if at all especially if your running stock springs, for a better ride I'd go with new front springs quality single shock setup, bilstien would be my choice, and a couple of sandbags in the bed

3. cbbr

cbbr 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

The rear shackle flip did not really change my drive quality at all. No worse, just no better. If you want it to ride better, new springs may be in order.

4. Mad-Dog

Mad-Dog 1/2 ton status

The shackle flip just lifts it up 4"....that's all
    no change in ride quality

5. SUB-ZERO

SUB-ZERO 1/2 ton status

So this doesn't change the handling characteristics either?I'm concerned with it being all over the road or reacting funny under various road conditions,especially with an aftermarket longer shackle.On a side note,has anyone seen the Blazer on the cover of the August FOUR WHEELER?It has a shackle flip combined with lockable rear shackles!The body mounts are cool too.Wonder if it belongs to anyone on here?

6. cbbr

Any time you lift one the handling will obviously be different. The shackle flip in mine did not change the handling - it's no softer than stock. I wouldn't get in too big a hurry in the corners, it is a top heavy beast, but the suspension is as stiff as ever.

I have no problems with "wander" or "creep" and would think that those problems are caused more by poor steering and tire selection anyway.

I also don't drive my 'Burb like I drive my car. It would definately "react funny" to that (read: flip).

Soft springs will make it a little harder to handle because te suspension has more give. Stiffer springs may be a bit easier in the corners, but beat the crap out of you.

7. Mad-Dog

Mad-Dog 1/2 ton status

It changes the rear suspension from a rebound type spring over to a compression type spring, why would it cause it to wander any more than the stock hanger bracket....? :dunno:

8. SUB-ZERO

SUB-ZERO 1/2 ton status

I guess it wouldn't.But that is why I am asking,cause I figure who better to ask thatn those that have done it?Well,I expect it to change with the change in height.So if I were to do the shackle flip and use say stock springs then I shouldn't expect much difference in handling beyond what is caused by the raising of the center of gravity,correct?On a side note,I plan on driving with some sense(at least ON the road)LOL.

9. Mad-Dog

Mad-Dog 1/2 ton status

That's right...my web page has a great picture of the shackle flip installed.

You will need to :weld: or :grind: the rivet heads off then use a drift to knock em out the other side.
    Use a 7/16" bit to enlarge the holes in the frame then install the flip kit.

The stock brake lines will work but the rear shocks will most likely have to be replaced.
    you will notice after installing the flip kit that the pinion angle is darn near perfect......but you really should lengthen the driveshaft if the slip collar is pulled too far back or the truck will have bad vibes.

i have had to cut mine twice so i don't feel bad for you.... :crazy:

10. SUB-ZERO

SUB-ZERO 1/2 ton status

Thanks for the info.And by the way...."Slightly Modified" is a tad misleading..don't ya think?LOL Whats the difference between the ORD
    kit and the DIY kit?

Last edited: Jul 8, 2005
  11. Mad-Dog

Mad-Dog 1/2 ton status

"just slightly" :haha:

the DIY kit looks like doodoo next to the ORD kit

12. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

ummm... no. I had the ORD kit and wish I had the DIY one. The ability to use flat plate style shackles is clearly a superior design feature that provides more options to the end user. The inside-the-frame bracket thingies (can ya tell I don't know what to call them?) that come with the DIY kit are a better design also. Not sure what you mean by "doodoo" but clearly is has nothing to do with function...

j

13. 6.2Blazer

6.2Blazer 1/2 ton status

Are you guys talking about the DIY4X kit, or an actual "do it yourself" style shackle flip????? It sounds like you two are quite on the same line........

14. cbbr

I don't know about the DIY kit, but the ORD was easy to install, well made and lined the pinion agle up perfectly. My guess is that the DIY is very wimilar in all aspects. Probably like asking which is better - coke or pepsi, lots of opinion.

15. drofdar

drofdar 1/2 ton status

Happy With My Flip

I just completed my ORD flip. In my case, 80 3/4 ton "Heavy Duty", I was able to remove the overload, and two more leafs each side and still have a 4" lift. Since I wanted to ditch the 4" blocks, the only other alternative was to install a higher arched spring set. Those arched springs will give the roughest ride, but without the block. It all depends on how you look at your particular solution, but for me the flip got me the lift, no blocks, and better flex. I am happy with ORD quality and service, but the DIY kit looks great also.

16. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

don't get me wrong, the ORD flip is well designed and as far as asthetics go some people probably think it looks better. There is one relatively major and one minor difference between them tho... as I mentioned in my other post. Those two design features are a pretty big deal IMO. Using different length flat shackles you have a lot of flexibility with the DIY-style flip. If you decide to go with 56s or whatever at a later date it would be nice to have a flip that lets you use flat shackles.

j

17. cbbr

I don't disagree at all, I simply have no experiance with the DIY kit, so I can't tell you if its better or not. Looks good to me.

18. cybrfire

cybrfire 1 ton status Vendor GMOTM Winner

Are you referring to the do it yourself kit as in, build it yourself out of the stock bracketry or the DIY4X kit?

19. Zeus33rd

Zeus33rd Smarter than you GMOTM Winner

I hope he doesn't mean the DIY4X kit...Thats rediculous. I have no experience or need for/with either kit, but have read about both and if I were going to purchasse one, it would be the DIY4X one. Better design, and better looks. Fashion should follow form I think. :wink1:

20. SUB-ZERO

SUB-ZERO 1/2 ton status

I was looking for the difference in the ORD kit and the DIY4X kit.I guess there are pros and cons to both from what I am hearing but I think I will be going for the DIY4X kit for my own application.It is much prettier!Just my opinion though.