Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Rear Shackle flip Questions

Discussion in 'OffRoad Design' started by zakk, Oct 7, 2001.

1. zakk

zakk 1/2 ton status

First off, i have spent all weekend (literally) reserching this on this site and others. I paid close attenetion to all answers and suggestions and still have questions. That being said, here goes:

1)My truck is the only ride for me, no back up. I would like to be able to attack Hollister, Pismo, moab (this spring I hope =o) ) and other fun and chalenging trails. I want a well rounded rig. will a shackle kit help me to this end?

2) I have a spare in the "bed" and a shell in the winter and the rear sags like my brother's beer gut. I was thinking the 4" flip kit with a HD 4" leaf pack for the read to go with the 6" mystree leafs and raised D60 perch in the front to get it level. Is this a good idea?

3) Will the rear axel have to be relocated with the 4" flip kit?

4) Will my 1 ton custom driveshaft have to be made to a special long travel type?

5) what are "greaseable" shackles and how do they work? would they be good for the front and rear alike?

6) I have no problem hacking sheetmetal so that is not a constraint.

Sorry about the short book above, i am a student and this has to fit with my winter tuition being due around the same time i plan to do this so i have to get it right the first time. As always ANY experiences, ideas, opinions, etc. are welcomed.
    I thank all who take the time to read and respond to this long story...

-Zakk
    '77 K5 SB 400 TH350 NP203 p/t 6" Lift D60 14BFF 4.10's 36"Wrangler II's

2. K10ANDYKHAMNIC

K10ANDYKHAMNIC 1/2 ton status

"grreasable " shackles have a grease fitting for a grease gun in the center of the head of all the bolts and they are crossdrilled and the bushing have grease gooves in them so they stay lubed up and have less friction so u get better flex and ride :) good for both front and rear . i wont speculate on the other issues ....

WHATS WRONG WITH A 305 ?
    81 K10 GOODYEAR 35" MTRS
    TH350 NP 208
    O R D's axles
    NO BREAKAGE :)

3. michaelm

michaelm 1/2 ton status

would like to hear a long term greaseable shackle report.
    i have my doubts about their funtion.
    seems to me the movement is designed to be between the bolt and inner sleeve, so the bushing getting grease doesnt really do anything for you. you would have to grease the inner sleeve and bolt.
    if the inner sleeve was designed to have grease channels that would make more sense to me.
    this would require custom bushings as the inner sleeve on my superlift bushing is too thin to accept any modifications.
    this is on my long term study list but not very high priority.
    the stock ones seem to last 5years or so before the salt seizes the bolt to the sleeve.

4. K10ANDYKHAMNIC

they do not have and inner sleeves , and if they did all you would have to is cross drill em a bit . and if u kept it greased it might last forvever.....

WHATS WRONG WITH A 305 ?
    81 K10 GOODYEAR 35" MTRS
    TH350 NP 208
    O R D's axles

5. michaelm

michaelm 1/2 ton status

http://wsphotofews.excite.com/035/gH/Kq/Pb/5437427.jpg
    hard to see anything as there is grease over the fitting from when i tried to force lube into it. if anyone cared i could get a better pic.
    a fluted(no idea if that is the correct term) inner sleeve would put the grease where it could do some good

<P ID="edit"><FONT class="small">Edited by 77chev on 10/08/01 01:43 PM.</FONT></P>

6. K10ANDYKHAMNIC

i have the front heavy duty ord shackles and they do not have an inner sleeve

WHATS WRONG WITH A 305 ?
    81 K10 GOODYEAR 35" MTRS
    TH350 NP 208
    O R D's axles

7. michaelm

michaelm 1/2 ton status

so the bolt rides directly on the urethane bushing?

8. K10ANDYKHAMNIC

jup it does , no reason not to ( that i can think of ) fluted sounds like the right term yo .

WHATS WRONG WITH A 305 ?
    81 K10 GOODYEAR 35" MTRS
    TH350 NP 208
    O R D's axles

9. michaelm

michaelm 1/2 ton status

how hard is it to feed grease to?
    where does the grease flow out of?
    is there canals on the face that contacts the shackle to allow this?

10. K10ANDYKHAMNIC

u just plug a grease gun on the end and give it a couple pumps until you hear or see it squishing out somwhere . the grease come out the bolt like in the your pic . i dont quite get your last quuestion.

WHATS WRONG WITH A 305 ?
    81 K10 GOODYEAR 35" MTRS
    TH350 NP 208
    O R D's axles

11. shaggyk5

shaggyk5 1/2 ton status

i think on the ORD setup, the movement is between the bolt and the bushing, not the bushing and the shackle. the inner bore of the bushings are fluted, and the bolts aredrilled/cross drilled for the grease feed. the bushings stay mostly stationary in the shackle or spring.

--matt
    <font color=blue>86, 350 crate, 33's.</font color=blue>
    <font color=red>Lop Sop Doi Off-Roader</font color=red>

12. michaelm

michaelm 1/2 ton status

stock the bushing is bonded to the spring, never seen a bushing that moved in the spring eye.
    just surprized to hear that someone claim they dont use an inner sleeve

13. Stephen

Stephen 1/2 ton status Moderator Vendor

OK, clarification time.
    1st, we did the original question on the phone, so it's taken care of.

We do use a steel sleeve on every suspension bushing on the GM trucks. Some have tried using a huge bolt with no steel sleeve and they seem to wear out really quick.
    The way it works is the torque from the bolt being tightened clamps the shackle plates to the inner steel sleeve. This essentially makes the sleeve and the plates move as one part. Therefore the bolt also rotates with the shackles. The contact area that moves is between the inner steel sleeve and the urethane bushing, which is why the bushing has grooves to hold and channel the grease. When you pump in the grease, it goes out the hole in the bolt, fills the sleeve till the pressure forces the grease out the hole in the sleeve, fills the cavity between the bushings and then works it's way down the grooves in the ID of the urethane. From there the pressure forces it out the end of the bushing and that's when you know to stop adding grease.

Making the world better, one truck at a time.
    SW-ORD
    <a target="_blank" href=http://www.offroaddesign.com>www.offroaddesign.com</a>

14. SubYuman

SubYuman 1/2 ton status

I am in the middle of adding 4.5" lift spindles to my 93 C 2500. I do not want to use blocks to lift the rear suspension. Will the ORD flip kit work for my Sub? I have seen too many broken U joints in the sand.... what do you think?
    Also, where can I get 4" lift shocks for the back end of my 14 bolt? Should I just measure and call Rancho or Doetsche Tech?
    Walt
    3' body lift, 3" suspension (front), spindles this weekend

15. Stephen

We have a flip intended for the '92 up sub that should work out for you. I don't know how much lift it's going to give you on a 2wd. I know on the earlier trucks, a 2wd has different bracket height compared to the frame. That's how a 4wd truck sits higher. So our flip kit could give you more than 4" of lift, but should still bolt on.
    Hope this helps!
    Part # is GU48010, price is $160.00 for the pair.

SW-ORD

16. SubYuman

SubYuman 1/2 ton status

GOt the spindles in today.... this things is HUGE. My 33's look even tinier now!!!!
    ANyone with opinions on shocks?

17. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

I would go with Doestch Tech's or Bilsteins...sounds like a pre-runner to me. Rancho's are good for chuckin at the cat...[​IMG]

Rene

<font color=green>Dyslexics of the world...UNTIE!</font color=green>
    <a target="_blank" href=http://coloradok5.com/gallery/project_T2> tRusty pics...</a>

18. SubYuman

SubYuman 1/2 ton status

WIll I need to shim the diff? If so, where should I start degree wise?

19. Stephen

I'm not sure where you're going to end up due to the 2wd/4wd thing, but you're most likely going to have to rotate the pinion down a good bit. You may end up re-welding the spring perches as the permanent fix, but until then about all you can do is put it together and see what you end up with. Keep in mind the overall angles, you probably won't have to go to a CV driveshaft, but you should consider it as an option for sure.

SW-ORD

20. SubYuman

SubYuman 1/2 ton status

I would like to order the kit, but I need to know what part # shock to order. This is my only ride, so getting the kit, installing it and then measuring for the shocks is out of the question.
    I only have Saturdays off, I work M-F and go to school all Sunday......
    If you can tell me how much more than 4" I am looking at with the 2WD vs. 4WD spring mount difference issue, I can use graph paper to make a simulation and then use simple geometry to calcualte the size I would need, but it would need to be pretty close.....
    Steph.... back to you!