Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Rear shackle flip

Discussion in 'OffRoad Design' started by slider, May 7, 2001.

1. slider

slider 1/2 ton status

I have a 1980 GMC K15 short box that I am looking at installing the shakle flip kit getting rid of my lift blocks. My exhaust system goes under the middle of the rear stock shackles on both sides and has about 1.0" clearance. Will this be a problem when I install the shakle flip? Also I tow a 26 foot 5000 lb. travel trailer and I am kinda concerned if the shackle flip will have a problem with the weight? I use a equlizer hitch set up. I have no towing problems with the blocks but I would love to get rid of them. I have seen other posts about towing with the shackle flip but no one has inquired about this much weight. Thanks for your time.

2. I had to have my pipes slightly bent and longer hanger's installed when I put the flip on.

1969 C20 4x4 with 4" lift
    35x12.50x16 Super Swamper SSR's

3. Stephen

Stephen 1/2 ton status Moderator Vendor

You will need to move the exhaust around, we've seen some custom setups that we could move around and make work, but the factory exhaust will need some work.
    Towing isn't a problem, the shackle angle is designed so that you don't lose capacity until the spring arch is WAY inverted. Which isn't a normal situation anyway.
    Hope this helps

Making the world better, one truck at a time.
    [image]http://coloradok5.com/logo_ordsmall.gif[/image]
    SW-ORD

4. Ryeguy

Ryeguy 1/2 ton status

Hi Stephan, re: shackle angle, what angle have you found works best for normal ride height? Something around 30 degrees off vertical, or even more rake, like in the 35-40 degrees range?

--Rob

5. Stephen

Stephen 1/2 ton status Moderator Vendor

Shackle angles are actually figured from the spring's flat position. Spring characteristics can vary significantly depending on the shackle length and angle. Our flip sets the angle in the best all around position. We could lay it down a little and get a little more travel, or stand it up more and get more even rate, but it's not bad as is.
    I don't really have a blanket answer for your question, due to the number of variables, but in general, if it's forward at the top by 10-20 degrees, you should be fine.
    Hope this helps

Making the world better, one truck at a time.
    [image]http://coloradok5.com/logo_ordsmall.gif[/image]
    SW-ORD