Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

rear shackle movement

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by dheavychevy38, Jun 3, 2005.

1. dheavychevy38

dheavychevy38 1/2 ton status Premium Member

ok i have a 91 k5 with 6 inch plus a zero rate in front and 8 inch springs in the rear. The shackle setup is stock but my question is how much should they move cause i think mine are frozen any ideas on how to free them up. I ask this cause with the setup i have know the rear insn't flexing like it should and the front springs bend into s shape when flexed. When i had 8 inch springs all the way around on my 89 i could almost stuff my 38's into the rear fender but never payed attention to the shackle movewment. Thanks for the help

2. MTMike

MTMike 1/2 ton status

The problem is most likely that those 8" lift springs about as flexible as a brick, thus the shackle "doesn't" move. It's not that it "can't" move. To free them up, ditch the 8" springs for some 4" lift springs and a shackle flip.

That's my best guess/advice....

3. Blue85

Blue85 Troll Premium Member

So are you talking about the front shackles, the rear shackles or both?

I would say get a jack under the truck and see what moves when the load comes off the suspension. If the bolts are too tight, that can cause the shackles to bind up, but usually it's just corrosion. Once they are frozen, you might get lucky beating them loose with a big hammer, but otherwise you are looking at cutting the bolts and sleeves off and getting new bushings and hardare.

Stock rubber isn't too bad when the bolts rust because the rubber still twists as intended. Poly has to slide the rusty sleeve around in the poly. If you can take it apart and grease it, that is a good thing.

4. dheavychevy38

dheavychevy38 1/2 ton status Premium Member

just the rear spring shackle thanks the 8 inch springs flex ok for 8 inch springs but until i can afford 4 inch 56 with a shqckle flip it's what i have to work with thanks again

5. divorced

divorced 3/4 ton status

Are the steel sleeves supposed to move? I always thought they weren't supposed to, which means it wouldn't matter if the bolts are rusted in them.