Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

rear shackles...

Discussion in 'OffRoad Design' started by mudrunner78, Nov 17, 2001.

1. mudrunner78

mudrunner78 1/2 ton status

...ok I want to run the ORD shackle flip, but I am worried about axle wrap, I run in tellico alot of the time and I don't need to RTI 1000 mud is what I end up in most of the time , but I do flex when I can. I guess what I am rambleing on about is should I go with the reversal or just a soft 6 or 8 inch rear spring. I was looking at genuine suspension lifts but I don't know how good a lift they make. any help would be appreciated. Thanks jesse

2. Triaged

Triaged 1/2 ton status

I don't know if there is such a thing as a soft 6 or 8" rear spring. You might want to think about the 2.5" flip and a 4" spring.

'71 Blazer CST w/ a 400sbc, 4" lift, 36" Supper Swampers, and alot of rust
    <a target="_blank" href=http://community.webshots.com/user/triaged>See it Here </a>

3. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

Or a 4" flip and a 2 1/2" spring...[​IMG]

Rene

<font color=green>Dyslexics of the world...UNTIE!</font color=green>
    <a target="_blank" href=http://coloradok5.com/gallery/project_T2> tRusty pics...</a>

4. JunkYardCrawler

JunkYardCrawler 1/2 ton status

how bout hopping through the mud on a pogo stick.

soft 6 or 8 inch spring. wow i want to see one.

5. mudrunner78

national spring has made quite a few soft 6 inch springs, do they flex like a four inch spring, no, I don't plan on a super flexy ride. I wanted to know about the reversal having alot of axle wrap. I have decided to run just a 6 inch lift so I would run the 4 inch reversals with a 2 inch spring.

<P ID="edit"><FONT class="small">Edited by mudrunner78 on 11/18/01 09:28 PM.</FONT></P>

6. Shorts

Shorts 1/2 ton status

i don't think you'd have any better chance at axle wrap with the flip than with the stock hangers.... maybe...maybe not ?? [​IMG]

<font color=blue>Shorts</font color=blue>

'94 K1500

7. Greg72

Greg72 "Might As Well..." Staff Member Super Moderator

Mud78,

I think Steve (ORD) has gone through the engineering description of the shackle flip before on this board, and the bottom line was that because you are only re-locating the mounting point for the spring, the spring rate is the same as "stock" and will only be as likely to "wrap" as the stock spring would.

To the contrary, a 4" rear block IS going to increase axle-wrap (and it's more dangerous too). I think it's more the effect of the axle and block having more "leverage" against the spring pack?

Anyway....you could always call Steve at ORD, or check his website for a more complete description of the shackle flip. Steve KNOWS his stuff, and the products he makes are well-engineered and thought out.

-Greg72

8. mudrunner78

It is proven that steve knows his stuff. I have learned alot about the shackle reversal, called ORD on the phone. All my questions are answered. I will be ordering 3 reversal kits. I have never doubted the engineering of the product just how it would work for my longwheel base truck. But I have found what I was looking for. Thanks to everyone, Jesse

9. Greg72

Greg72 "Might As Well..." Staff Member Super Moderator

Jesse,

3 kits huh....? Whattarya goin' for a 12" lift? [​IMG]

Seriously, Steve is the MAN....I know I'm going to enjoy loading up my K5 with all his "goodies"!

-Greg72

10. mudrunner78

no not a 12 inch lift just three trucks to lift.

11. Stephen

Stephen 1/2 ton status Moderator Vendor

I'll have to remember that, add 3 4' flip kits to get 12" of lift! Wahoo!

The only way to control axlewrap is to run linkage, short of that, we just live with varying amounts. I've had the amount of damaging wrapup change whan I changed tires. A smooth tire would hop like crazy in sand, my swamps just dug in and hung on with no hop. Moral is there are a lot of factors and at some point we reach the "good enough" point. Pressing the issue from there is just for fun or the last bit of performance. Both of which are why many of us are into the sport!

Making the world better, one truck at a time.
    SW-ORD
    <a target="_blank" href=http://www.offroaddesign.com>www.offroaddesign.com</a>