Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

rear shock insatll tip

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Bigmeats, Sep 8, 2000.

1. Bigmeats

Bigmeats 1/2 ton status

Hello all,

Well after some sleepless nights worring about removing the drivers side rear shock bolt(the one in the upper frame, you know, the enemy of most K5ers) I discoverd an easy way to remove the bolt aside from a torch, grinder, or sawsall. I was able to get an impact rench on the inside nut by going under the truck facing the front of the gass tank,(or the rear of the truck....same thing) there was just enough room to get the impact on the nut and busted her free.
    Mabey this is obvious, and been told a hundred times before, but it took me a few times crawling around to figure it out, and i hadn't heard of that method before. SO i hope i can help at least one person get some much needed sleep instead of worring about the "dredded upper shock bolt"!!
    Good luck, Bigmeats

Carl...75 Blazer...Manhattan IL

2. fr8train

fr8train 1/2 ton status

Thank you for the tip!!!!!!

3. shaggyk5

shaggyk5 1/2 ton status

what do you do for a broken upper shock mount? anyone got an easy fix that i dont know of yet?

matt

shaggyk5

aint nuthin in the world like a heavy chevy!!

4. KrebsATM02

KrebsATM02 1/2 ton status

Yea, mine is cracked and i am getting scared!!!!! - Doug

Doug Krebs

5. TX Mudder

TX Mudder 1/2 ton status

I never had a problem getting the bolts out.
    I use a 1/2" drive socket with a mambo breaker bar and let my body weight do the work.
    -- Mike

6. beefcake83

beefcake83 1/2 ton status

Yeah, I'd like to see a repair for a cracked upper shock mount bracket too. Mine's cracked from the hole up to the top. At least the body lift will give me the room to get at the bolt. Im having to weld a new piece onto the frame for the passenger side shock mount because of a slight wollering (see attached pic - pretty ugly.)

Gary Graham
    '83 GMC Jimmy 350 'Beefcake'
    Eielson AFB, Alaska
    Metallica & Mountain Dew

7. beefcake83

Hey BigMeats and others - What do you suggest for a left rear shock mount bracket that has a hole now the size of a half dollar almost, and cracks to the top? The @&%#* previous owner didn't tighten the rear shock bolts enough and the shock bolts wollered the hole out!

Gary Graham
    Eielson AFB, Alaska
    Metallica & Mountain Dew

8. Bigmeats

Bigmeats 1/2 ton status

I would have to say get some metal welded to the frame and drill a new hole. That should do it!

Bigmeats

Carl...75 Blazer...Manhattan IL

9. beefcake83

Repair Tip: If some of you guys and gals end up having trouble with your left rear shock mount like I have (cracked bracket and/or wollered out hole) GM still has the bracket available. I ordered one and it'll be arriving in a few days. Cost... $12. Looks like I'll be grinding out the rivots and re-bolt the new in. That outta be fun. At least the body lift will be good for something after all... room to work! - Gary

Gary Graham
    Eielson AFB, Alaska
    Metallica & Mountain Dew

10. RAY

RAY 1/2 ton status Premium Member

I had the same problem on my rear driver's side upper shock mount. What I did was go buy the replacement mount from the dealer, it costs around $13.00, and then drop the tank and drill or touch out the rivets and bolt up the replacement. Its a pain, but it is the only way I was able to fix it after I tied rewelding it.