Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

rear shock location

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by grumpy, Mar 10, 2001.

1. grumpy

grumpy 1/2 ton status

Anyone have pros & cons about mounting rear shocks with the upper mounts in-board above the center of the differential?
    David

2. k5king

k5king 1/2 ton status

well one pro is that the rear is allowed to travel farther like this,,the only con i can think of is that i don't believe the shock's absorb the bump's very well like this,,they move much less as if they were mounted straight up and down...never had anything with them like that,,but i'm gonna found out soon myself...god luck.

ANYBODY LOSE THEIR JEEP????????[​IMG]
    I JUST FOUND ONE UNDER MY BLAZER!!!![​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG]

3. bigerik

bigerik 1/2 ton status

1 of my trucks has dual rear socks "stock style." The other truck has "dual inboard mounted rear shocks". If you were to drive behind me, these shocks would be in the shape of the letter "V." A bar is welded above the frame, and the shocks mount to this in order to "go around" the rear 30 gal gas tank on a Blazer. The truck w/ stock-style rides way stiffer and flexes less than the truck with dual inboard mounted rear shocks. If I were to do alot of jumping, though, I would use the stock style because they are perpindicular to the road. http:// www.bigerik.coloradoK5.com .

4. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

Offset shocks, (like stock) are designed that way because of axle wrap. Look at coil spring cars, where the axle is located and controlled by rigid bars. The leaf spring rear axles have nothing to prevent the axle trying to lift the nose (pinion) upwards, toward the bed, except the leaf springs. Leaf springs are not good at this, and will, under hard acceleration, allow the axle to "wrap up" (attempting to coil the springs) and once the springs are twisted so much that they overcome the force twisting them, they snap the axle back towards the ground. You lose traction.

Dorian
    My K5 and Chev/Olds tech/links page: <A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.dorianyeager.com/index2.html>http://www.dorianyeager.com/index2.html</A>

5. BadDog

BadDog SOL Staff Member Super Moderator Author

I think I read that the "A" configuration allows the body to rock from side to side more since there is little resistance to the side roll. One recommendation was to angle them more fore and aft to get the advantages of angle without loosing side stability.

Bad Dog

85 K30 CUCV, 350 TBI, TH400, NP205, D60/C14, 4.56
    Coming soon: 4" lift, 40" tires, massive cutting, shorter wb and rear overhang.

6. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

I relocated my RS 5000's that way. Not above the differential though, about 6-10" ahead and angled inwards. I don't notice any extra body roll and the shocks seem to do their job just fine like that.
    One odd thing I did notice was that the shocks didn't work very well when mounted upside down, I thought they were just wore out. I re-mounted them right side up and now they're fine.

At least now the shocks aren't limiting the travel in the rear anymore.

As far as axle wrap is concerned, its just as bad as stock with the shocks mounted this way. Even before I moved them I had horrible axle-wrap, so for me moving them wasn't making anything worse, in fact now it rides better. To get rid of my axle wrap I'll have to lose the 4" blocks and take it from there.

Rene

[​IMG]
    <P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1>Edited by tRustyK5 on 03/12/01 12:15 PM (server time).</FONT></P>