Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Rear Shock Mount Problem when Inverted like this ---> /\

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Waxer, Mar 2, 2003.

1. Waxer

Waxer 1/2 ton status Author

Rear Shock Mount Problem when Inverted like this ---> /\\

I have had my rear shocks like this ---> /\ for a while now and ever since I built the new bumper/tire carrier combo, I have noticed that my rear tends to pogo and bounce up pretty high whenever I encounter a large dip at relative speed.

BorregoK5 can agree on this as he saw me almost lose it at Coral Canyon after hitting a dip, he said the rear tires came off the ground a good 3' on the rebound.

I'm currently running Rancho 5012's on the rear. The bottom of the shocks are located as far outward on the axle tube as I could get them before hitting the u-bolts. The upper shock mount/crossmember I made has the shocks being located as far inward as they can be w/o touching. Similar to Depdogs setup basically.

I'm basically polling the members of CK5 to see if anyone else has shared similar experiences, and if so, what they did to fix it.

I have considered running duals (1 set in front of the axle, 1 set behind the axle) in the same /\ fashion. I'm also wondering if the 5012's are just the wrong shock (wrong valving) for this application.

Can we share some setups and experiences to see if this is a trend with this shock scheme?

Thanks for any input received.

2. ChevyCaGal

ChevyCaGal 3/4 ton status

Re: Rear Shock Mount Problem when Inverted like this ---> /\\

What about an adjustable shock where you could make it stiffer for on road use to keep your truck from bouncing? Then when you go off the road you can make it softer? It would mean buying new shocks, but the cost wouldn't be bad considering how much a cracked frame would run you from the weight of your bumper/carrier bouncing up and down....

3. MudbogAD

MudbogAD 1/2 ton status

I just intalled mine last week from howlin offroad. I haven't had any problems yet. I would run an adjustable shock with your bumper.

4. cybrfire

cybrfire 1 ton status Vendor GMOTM Winner

jms is absolutely correct. The more angle the less it will dampen. Can you move the tops of the shock towards the frame rail? That will help. The closer to straight up and down the better. If you can't then I would go with another set of shocks. Somewhere I read with the shock angled you only get about 40% of its dampening ability. my .02.

5. fortcollinsram

fortcollinsram 1/2 ton status

I noticed that since I installed the MO Offroad kit, it does bounce and pogo more and there is also more noticeable body roll...The farther off a vertical plane the shcok are mounted, and the farther inside the framerails, the less damping they have and the less effective control they have on body roll. The be way to combat this is to mount them as far outboard and as vertical as possible...Mine are out all the way to the u-bolts oin the lower mount, but in ALL the way on the top...I had to do this b/c of the shcoks I have are too long...before I get my new exhaust in, I am going to go take some measurements with the shock OFF and then order some Doestch shocks for the rear...or you can go to Steve at ORD and get a cutom setup like Toby (aka Moneypit) did.......his shocks are set up outboard of the leaf springs....

Chris

6. Grim-Reaper

Grim-Reaper 3/4 ton status Author

Yep I had that happen and it has shocks in stock location but yes the shocks at that angle are contributing because your adding in a lack of body roll controll. My fix was to add two leafs to the pack to increase the spring rate. It was simply too soft springs for the shocks.

7. moneypit

moneypit 1/2 ton status

Installing them like you did was hands down the WORST mod I had done! Get your $$ back. Or you can be like Tim and not run rear shocks. That is close to what your doing anyways /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif

8. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

Since nobody has asked...are you running the shocks 'upside down'?? I have my RS5000's mounted up pretty similar to what you have except mine are 14" apart at the top and near the perches at the bottom. Even beat and tired the shocks still do their job. The exception to that was when I originally tried to mount them upside down...it felt like I had no shocks at all. I turned em back the other way and they worked fine.

rene

9. Waxer

No mine are right side up. I think its just a matter of too much inboard angle. These 5012's are too long to outboard the top mount so I'm either going to have to play with the mounts or find a shorter shock.

10. tRustyK5

Mine are the 5000's for a 4" lift. 10.5" of stroke. With the 57's in the rear and the shocks 14" apart at the top I use all the shock without bottoming or topping out. It was a SWAG when I located them like that but it worked out.

I do plan on some 14" D-tech's running more straight up and down though. I'll likely have to go through the bed for upper mounts.

Rene

11. Desert Rat

Desert Rat Fetch the comfy chair

Does anyone have any pictures of the Missouri Offroad setup? I was planning on going with it and mounting the shocks as far out as possible on the top. My stock mounts are hashed even though I welded them up a bit before painting my frame. I thought about doing kicker shocks to reduce axle wrap too. Suggestions?

12. supersize75

supersize75 1/2 ton status

att. deal of a life time! 2 yes 2 bran new procomp 3000's new 0 miles for 30.00 for a 6 inch lift /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

13. tRustyK5

Pro-comp 3000's are the same shock as the Rancho RS5000...just different stickers.

Rene

14. balzackks84

balzackks84 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

I have not done what you are talking about because of bad experiences with it like you and Borrego have. But my $.02 is that I was looking throught the Rancho book and was thinking about running a 9008. This is like 28" extended and 14 colapsed with 14" of travel. This is short enough of a shock that I thikn it could be mounted almost vertically and it would still have enough travel. Granted I have yet to go get the shocks yet to find out for sure. Give me a couple weeks and I will definately know.

15. BorregoK5

BorregoK5 1/2 ton status

I just ran the TDS run with my shocks relocated (again), this time inboard of the frame at the cross member, rotated forward and mounted in from of the axle near the bottom. I had the bottoms mounted to the top and back of the axle at about a 45 degree angle before this which still left a little pogo. I've got about 30 degrees angle to them now but it worked out to be a sweet spot. No shifty side to side weight transfer, I'm not hanging or hitting my shocks at full stuff or droop and I finally have enough dampening to slow the back end down when I start hitting bumps at higher speeds. All this on my old ProComp ES3000's. The biggest drawback so far has been my short exhause which blows hot air on one of the shocks.. I still have to relocate and run new exhaust (going to a single pipe anyhow!)

16. balzackks84

balzackks84 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

Did you notice a difference between mounting them on the front of the axle tube as opposed the back of it? I am about 1 week away from setting my rears up and am in a sticky spot in trying to figure out what im going to do /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

17. Waxer

Mike, could you take a couple snapshots of your current setup? It might be worth me looking into. I definitely do not want to pogo like that again. Also looking at selling my tire carrier/bumper combo and going with a lighter tubed design and running the spare off the cage like you.

I'm going 38.5's and a front 60 so I do not want to put a spare 38.5 on that carrier. Right now I have so much weight leverage back there (which I know is a contributing factor to the pogo effect), a 38 would definitely add to it.

Thanks.

18. BorregoK5

BorregoK5 1/2 ton status

Having them mounted on top rear of the axle was what I prefered but I had to build in too much angle to keep them from bottoming out. As it sits now at the bottom front of the axle, I have much more dampening with the same amount of travel... and the top mount is in the same location. As for rear mounting or front mounting, I chose front since the axle swing forward on the front spring eyes at full droop so mounting the shocks in front of the axle allowed more travel.

I've got a bunch of pics posted on the gravity fab messageboard:

http://www.echobit.com/cgi-bin/iconboard/ikonboard.cgi?s=3e63b8f53e09ffff&act=ST&f=11&t=53&st=0#entry4

19. marv_springer

marv_springer 1/2 ton status

Mounting your shock like this /\ can result in some different handling characteristics... From my experience, it seems that this setup:
    1) Sucks for controlling body roll /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif.
    2) Will give more "articulated" movement of the tires.
    3) Can cause either an underdamped or overdamped setup (depending on how severe the angles are and which shocks are used) for straight up and down travel of the rear axle.
    4) Usually does less for controlling axle wrap than the stock mounting scheme.

In short.... it's a compromise. For a slow going crawler that never goes fast, it's prolly the ideal setup. For jumping dunes and high speed dirt flyin' and towing, it prolly couldn't get worse! /forums/images/graemlins/ignore.gif. But all the mods we do are compromises anyway, no?!

The best setups are ones that poke thru the bed and use adjustable shocks. Zakk's is a good example, and I've setup a couple of trucks in a very simlar fashion. Robzilla just did his up thru the bed a week ago and he loves it /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif.

I think if you run duals in the same fashion /\ - I think you'll only make all the habits more pronounced - including the bad ones!

Marv

20. Waxer

ok I see it now. What I'm wondering is how many reminence of old shock mounts you have still welded to that axle /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

I'm gonna play with my mounts as well, just kinda busy with the skidplate development and hopefully the cage this weekend.