Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Rear shock mount problem...

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by K5XLR8R, Mar 25, 2001.

1. K5XLR8R

K5XLR8R 1/2 ton status

Today I noticed that the left rear shock mount had destroyed itself leaving the shok dangleing on the muffler....it doesn't look like it will be a hard fix, but I need to know how to go about doing this i.e. when it comes time to bolt the thing back on with the new shock mount....also, is it ok to drive like this...logically I'm thinking it won't hurt a thing, just make the ride choppier...?????? ... BTW while I'm going to do this I was wondering about adding softer shocks to smooth out the ride...I know its a Blazer, but I wouldn't mind a softer ride...Anyone have any suggestions on smoothing out the jitters??? Thanks AGAIN!!

2. thatK30guy

thatK30guy 1 ton status Premium Member

Weld the mount back on and get some softer valved shocks, say, the adjustable Rancho RS 9000's.

3. K5XLR8R

K5XLR8R 1/2 ton status

Don't have a welder yet!...SOL

4. thatK30guy

thatK30guy 1 ton status Premium Member

You can always take it to somebody else. So whats a couple dollars to do a weld job? At least you will have it done and driving again.

5. 87 mid canada k5

87 mid canada k5 1/2 ton status

by left i'm assuming you're talking driver's side, that's the mount that sits on top of the frame.i destroyed mine once and replaced it with a new one from gm, had to lower the gas tank outa the way, broke the bolt ends off the tank straps trying to undo them, that sucked. the original mount was riveted to the frame, cut the rivets off with an air chisel, also no fun but it came off. used bolts to mount the new bracket in place and welded the old straps back together. i was told it was pretty risky to do any torching or welding around that mount if the tank is still in place, but i'm sure it's been done before. it's also handy to have a big floor jack to support your tank 'cause you can only lower it down a little ways due to the fuel lines and wiring. by the way i managed to break my new mount also, someone on this site pointed out that i didn't extend my bumpstops after lifting my truck, causing the truck to bottom out on the extra length shocks and of course breaking the shock mounts. have fun!

Denis