Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Rear shock mount setup

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by bad_bo_ti, Aug 10, 2002.

1. bad_bo_ti

bad_bo_ti 1/2 ton status

I just gone done installing disc brakes on my 14 bolt ff /forums/images/icons/smile.gif , and i went ahead and took off the shock mounts so I could weld on my flex line bracket on the drivers side. I was wondering what are my options for mounting shocks on it /forums/images/icons/confused.gif , It is going to be mostly a dailly driver, its sitting on 38s with room for 44s /forums/images/icons/grin.gif . i was thinking about going with the setup steve has on the UAV but will this be practical for a dailly driver. thanks Also i was thinking of running the new pro comp 6 way shocks if anyone has any feedback on them thanks Chris /forums/images/icons/grin.gif

2. Esteban86K5

Esteban86K5 1/2 ton status

I run mine the way Steve has his on my DD and it feels fine. Works really well off road too. /forums/images/icons/grin.gif

3. Greg72

Greg72 "Might As Well..." Staff Member Super Moderator

Are you running a body lift?

I used the long travel Ranchos (9012s) and mounted them at the extreme corners of the axle (outside of the leaf packs) and up to a custom mount which pulls them in at a slight angle so the tires won't hit them when the axle articulates.

It's a pretty nice setup, and quite unique. I've never seen anyone else do shocks outboard of the leafpacks.

The only requirement is you DO have to have a body lift (mine's 2") or you won't be able to get the top of the shock mounted high enough to get full travel.

4. bad_bo_ti

bad_bo_ti 1/2 ton status

Actually i do have a body lift, 3in body lift. Do you have any pics of it.

5. BadDog

BadDog SOL Staff Member Super Moderator Author

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
    I used the long travel Ranchos (9012s) and mounted them at the extreme corners of the axle (outside of the leaf packs) and up to a custom mount which pulls them in at a slight angle so the tires won't hit them when the axle articulates.

It's a pretty nice setup, and quite unique. I've never seen anyone else do shocks outboard of the leafpacks

[/ QUOTE ]

Cool, you got pics? I've got to change my rear shocks due to the new gas tank where they were previously located. I was thinking of doing the same thing you did. Make a bracket on the axle tube (or on the spring plate) and attach the shock to another bracket on top of the frame. I'm thinking I may tilt the shocks forward at the top this time too...

6. Greg72

Russ &amp; Chris,

Here you go:

Pic 1

Pic 2

Should give you the idea.....

If you can't tell what is going on from the pics, just wait 9 days, and you'll see them in person at Moab!!! /forums/images/icons/cool.gif

7. BadDog

Well, either mine will be done by then, or I won't be there. /forums/images/icons/laugh.gif

I see you solved one concern of mine by turning them upside down. With it right side up, there is not much room and I was afraid that getting twisted up would cause it to hit. Any problems with that orientation?

8. Greg72

I got it pretty twisted up on the RTI ramp at BlazerFest and it all looks good. Maybe with the wider tires (38.5 x 16.00 x 16.5" TSLs) they will rub, but I won't know that until Moab.

Stay Tuned!!!

9. BadDog

What about shock functionality? Seems I heard the Ranchos get aerated (weak spots at static height) when turned upside down.

10. Greg72

FALSE!

That is a lie, or at least an "over-generalization" that people use to describe ALL shocks. The truth is that certain shocks work equally well in either direction.

You can check the Rancho website FAQ for the details (which I've obviously forgotten) but that's where I checked before flipping mine over...!

RS9000s at least are ALL GOOD that way. That may not be true on the RS5000 or some other brands.

/forums/images/icons/cool.gif

11. bad_bo_ti

bad_bo_ti 1/2 ton status

hey thanks alot for the help, i am not sure what setup i will go with yet, but all the ideas help alot. thanks again Chris

12. BadDog

Hmmm, just checked my 5012 instructions. It says to mount the rod up unless otherwise specified. I'll have to check the Rancho site later and see what they say about the 5k series...