Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

rear shock mount

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by skelly1, Apr 18, 2004.

1. skelly1

skelly1 1/2 ton status

I noticed when pulling the 10 bolt rear out, that the left rear frame shock mount is broken. Anybody have a cool fix for that?

2. Mastiff

Mastiff 1/2 ton status Premium Member

[ QUOTE ]
    I noticed when pulling the 10 bolt rear out, that the left rear frame shock mount is broken. Anybody have a cool fix for that?

[/ QUOTE ]

I wonder if that's a trouble spot. Mine's not busted, but it's bent pretty badly. I think the Rancho shocks I had in there were too short (I used what they said for 4" lift) and it was getting yanked on all the time when the truck leaned. For some reason the shock mounting bolt up there always seems to come loose on me too, which doesn't help because it's making the hole oblong out.

I'm no help here, but I'll be monitoring this to see if anyone else has done anything smart about it. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

3. skelly1

skelly1 1/2 ton status

Forgot to mention, the right side bolt is loose.

4. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

Don't have a real fix for the problem you now have, but to prevent it I had my dad weld the shock mount bolt in place (as opposed to just using the nut on the back) so that it could never loosen up.

If/when you do this, make sure not to keep using those nuts that screw up the threads, since you can't remove the bolt that easily. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

My suspicion with these setups and their problem is that once the bolt works loose just a hair, every bump is a hammer blow to that mount, and eventually it fails.

GM figured out that was a problem, as they started using bolts that were pressed in like wheel studs.

5. 84gmcjimmy

84gmcjimmy 1 ton status

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

weld it /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

6. the excuse

the excuse 1/2 ton status

couldnt you throw some ford towers up in there?

7. greybeard

greybeard Registered Member

8. detailer03

detailer03 1/2 ton status

MIne broke, welded it, broke welded it, broke welding it, finally replaced it. The rivits that hold it in are tough to get out.

9. tarheel

tarheel Registered Member

I had the same problem. I got the hoop setup from Missourri Offroad Outfitters. I could not be happier!! Check it out...
    clicky thingy-mabob /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

10. Mastiff

Mastiff 1/2 ton status Premium Member

[ QUOTE ]
    I had the same problem. I got the hoop setup from Missourri Offroad Outfitters. I could not be happier!! Check it out...
    clicky thingy-mabob /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Do you have a picture of what it looks like installed? How difficult was it to put on? It kinda seems like the tank would interfere horribly when trying to put the crossmember on, but I can't exactly visualize how it goes either.