Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Rear shock mount

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by 90K5, Sep 17, 2000.

1. 90K5

90K5 1/2 ton status

My back shock mount broke today. I dont know if its the original one because I looked at my friends 86 C20 and the rear shock mount is different. His goes thru the frame and mine is a plate on top of it with a 90 deg. angle that the shock bolts to. This is only on the left side. the right has it going thru the frame. This one is riveted to the frame with 2 rivets but I think they are still in place and it tore around them. Would welding it back togeter be a bad idea? I know it would weaken it but would it be enough to matter? Also does anyone know where I can get a new mount? LMC doesn't have them and I called the dealer but they couldn't find it. Thanks in advance

90K5

2. riz

riz 3/4 ton status

My 82 has the same set up as yours with the passenger side going through the frame and the driver side mounted to a plate on top of the frame......I just put new shocks on last week and was wondering about that too. Any input from the k5 brothers ??

<font color=purple>L8r,

.Riz.<font color=purple>

3. BigBurban

BigBurban 1/2 ton status

They're notorious for breaking. You can weld it back together and see how it holds up... Fabricate a new one (they're really simple)... Or buy a replacement (I've seen them advertised a few places before). Mine broke and I just welded a 3/8 inch steel plate to the frame vertically and drilled a mounting hole for the shock in it. Works great.

<font color=red>~BigBurban</font color=red>
    http://www.geocities.com/crash607

4. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

I've broken my drivers shock mount twice. The first time I welded the sh!t out of it, the second time the mount on the diff sheared. I guess I'll have to re-locate the way I have my shocks to keep them from bottoming out.

Rene

[​IMG]

5. KrebsATM02

KrebsATM02 1/2 ton status

Yeah, anyone have any good ideas on shock relocation for the rear. My mount in the rear is cracked from bottoming out. If not i am going to start investigating my own possiblities. Thanks - Doug

Doug Krebs

6. Cerote

Cerote Registered Member

My driver's side mount is thrashed also. I found an old aircraft towbar at work that has a really heavy piece of steel on the end of it that is shaped like our mounts. I'm sure gonna try to rig it up this week 'cuz I'm tired of bouncing around. If it works, and I can find some more of those towbars, I'll let y'all know.
    Keep yer fingers crossed! :<)

I H8 POSER TRUCKS!!!
    '86 K-5, 305cid, SM465, 31" BFG A/T...

7. 90K5

90K5 1/2 ton status

i took the shock off and I'm geting someone to weld it up for me cause I don't have a welder. I'm surprised that it doesn't ride as bad as I thought it would without the shock.

90K5

8. 87 mid canada k5

87 mid canada k5 1/2 ton status

Broke my left rear twice, no bump stop extentions after installing lift caused the problem, G.M. sold me a new mount for 20 bucks cdn .As for using a torch around the gas tank, well you can probably guess what could happen! This job is a pain in the butt.First I lowered my gas tank, be prepared to break the threaded bolt that's incorporated into the tank straps because the nuts are usually seized on. You'll have to buy new straps or weld the old ones back together, unless your real lucky and they actually do come off. With the tank lowered, and resting on something so you don't have to unhook all the lines, you should have access to the inner frame under the mount.I used an air chisel to cut the old rivet heads off,(loud!) it was a bit of work, but I didn't blow up. After removing the old mount, it' just a matter of bolting the new one in place using the old rivet holes. This job isn't really that tough, it's just the tight spot you have to work in that makes it bad.

MIDCAN k5 " DIG A HOLE!!!"