Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Rear Shock Mounting-Custom ?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Confedneck, Jul 26, 2003.

1. Confedneck

Confedneck 3/4 ton status

howdy all...i was looking at an explorer at work the other day...they're spring under rear axles, with 3" wide leafs..the shocks mount to the spring plate..would it be feasable to use those for a 2.5" wide spring maybe with a spacer on the sides? because it looks like if that shock mount were utilized on a spring over truck..mad travel from the shocks.,. /forums/images/graemlins/ears.gif

2. Bubba Ray Boudreaux

Bubba Ray Boudreaux 1 ton status

Zakk has his setup up with the mounts on the spring plates.

You also need to remember that you have to study up on mounting a shock cause with mounting on a spring plate, unless you go through the bed, or some radical angled job, you will lose a boatload of travel.

Going custom requires a lot of thought and planning so you can use all the available travel out of the springs and shocks and not have problems with shocks binding up cause the mounts are all jacked up like on some "show" trucks.

3. Confedneck

Confedneck 3/4 ton status

right...i know some people have their shocks mounted to the spring plates...i was just wondering if a plate for a 3" wide spring could be used on a 2.5" spring?...im thinking about possibly using or making something like MOO has...

4. sapper

sapper 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

[​IMG]

heres what i did, all it is 2" flatbar 1/4" thick, i tacked them the axle them heated them up with a torch, a BFH formed them to the rest of the axle and then welded up the edges. It works great and is cheap and easy to do /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif