Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Rear Shock Mounts

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by 78Jimmyish, Sep 22, 2001.

1. 78Jimmyish

78Jimmyish 1/2 ton status

I'm putting my 4" lift kit on this weekend, started it today. One of my upper shock mounts sheared off on the outside. It's the drivers side, so the backside of the mount is in a little 2" gap between the fuel tank and the bottom of the bed. So I stuck a wrench on the backside and grabbed a deep throat socket and my 3' breaker bar and tried to twist it off from the outside. Guess what? The rusted-@ss bolt on the outside stripped beyond help... So now I've got a bolt on the one side that's stripped and a bolt on the other side that i can barely get a wrench on. Guys got any suggestions for getting that mount off without dropping the gas tank?

2. MOABDADC22

MOABDADC22 1/2 ton status

Same thing happened to me. I ended up using just a hacksaw blade (not a hacksaw...just the blade) to cut through the bolt. It is slow going but it can be done. One word of advice...WEAR GLOVES. I chewed some skin off my knuckles doing it.

<a target="_blank" href=http://www.moabdadc22.alloffroad.com/>http://www.moabdadc22.alloffroad.com/</a>Real four wheelers don't need tools to remove body panels, paint, tail lights..etc.

3. 78Jimmyish

I'm hoping there's enough room to get a sawzall in there. If not, I guess I'll be taking the hacksaw route...

4. CV202

CV202 1/2 ton status

Hit it with a wizzah!! (air cut off wheel for you non-New Englanders!) Or the trusty blue wrench. Good Luck.

Why do people keep calling it a Bronco!!!!! [​IMG]

5. 78Jimmyish

Yeah, but I was kinda hesitant about throwing that many sparks around my gas tank. The nice thing about a sawzall is that it doesn't spark.

6. 78Jimmyish

Yeah, but I was kinda hesitant about throwing that many sparks around my gas tank. The nice thing about a sawzall is that it doesn't spark.

7. BurbinOR

BurbinOR 3/4 ton status

I used a sawzall with a long metal blade - made quick work of it.

<font color=blue>'79 ONE TON TPI K5 - See it at---&gt;<a target="_blank" href=http://www.blazzinor.rockcrawler.com>www.blazzinor.rockcrawler.com</a>