Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

rear shock mounts ?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by mudduck, Dec 3, 2001.

1. mudduck

mudduck 1/2 ton status

I finally built the top crossmember to bolt my shocks too. have a Question what length shock should I get or can i still use my current shocks(i just bought new shocks for a 4" lift got a good deal) should i relocate the shocks to top of axle or tomiddle of axle tube? my crossmember when finished will have extra holes to mount shocks at different angles if neccesary, the shocks i now have are explorer pro comp with the number ecp/oe 10259 any one know what these shocks were originally for?

mudduck

2. 55Willy

55Willy 3/4 ton status

I would mount them in the middle of the axel tube, just seems to work better with the longer shocks. If you mount them on top of the axle you may not have enough room for the shock to work.
    the shocks I'm using are my trailmasters off of my 4" lift.

<font color=red>Life is like a mud hole:</font color=red><font color=blue>
    When the S#!T gets deep, you have to keep moving and friends can always pull you out</font color=blue>
    55 Willy's

3. Mudzer

Mudzer 1/2 ton status Author

Scott,

I just bought the Crossmember and shock mount kit from <a target="_blank" href=http://www.mooffroadoutfitters.rockcrawler.com>Steve Frisbie</a> and they are mounted on the top. I will mount mine using some front 6" lift shocks. If I were you, I would just contact Steve and have him make a bolt on bracket set for your 14 bolt. He could also provide you with a weld on tab set.

Heres my theroy on top mounted shocks vs. rear or front mounted. The front/rear mounted shock mounts can be damaged by rocks. My shocks will be safe on top and have plenty of travel using a less expensive shock. Can't beat that deal!

Mudzer 1978/91 K5
    <font color=blue><a target="_blank" href=http://www.mudzer.rockcrawler.com>www.mudzer.rockcrawler.com</a></font color=blue>

4. SCOOBYDANNN

SCOOBYDANNN 1/2 ton status

I was planning on using Frisbe's mount, how do you like it, did you get the weld on or bolt on, anything i should know before i buy it, i was planning on using a rancho or procomp 12" shock

Sun Desert Offroad <a target="_blank" href=http://4x4.alloffroad.com>4x4.alloffroad.com</a>