Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Rear Shock Relo done - 55Willy is the man !

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by BurbinOR, Jan 26, 2002.

1. BurbinOR

BurbinOR 3/4 ton status

Props to Jeremy H (aka 55Willy)........did a very nice job fabbing and installing my rear shock relocation system. Had to do a custom mount due to my exhaust location as well as my fuel pump residing in the frame rail by where the 'standard' rear relocation mount usually fits. The shocks are 9012 Rancho's. Pics on my webshots page, click and see the 'Rear Shock Relocation' folder, should be on page 2. Finished up the touch up paint today.

<font color=blue> ONE TON</font color=blue> <font color=green>TPI'd</font color=green><font color=red> BEAST<font color=red>[/b]

2. Hossbaby50

Hossbaby50 3/4 ton status

Its not there. I just looked on page 2 and the only things there are parts for sale, and cold air induction.

My Chevy isn't broken, its just out of gas.

3. Hossbaby50

Hossbaby50 3/4 ton status

I just found it. There is not a link on page 2, but if you click into another gallery it is at the bottom of the yellow list on the left side of the screen.

My Chevy isn't broken, its just out of gas.

4. BorregoK5

BorregoK5 1/2 ton status

Looks good, hows the ride? I imagine it will be softer due to the geometry change on the road.. does it sway more or less than with the previous shocks, ride stiffer of softer?

I started with nothing and I still have most of that left! - <a target="_blank" href=http://www.echobit.com:81/k5/> Pictures</a>

5. BurbinOR

BurbinOR 3/4 ton status

6. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

great Blazzin, so not only did u get the rear shock x-member from 55 before I did....but you also snagged the np205 that I wanted off the CK5 FS forum...grrrrrr...

=p

J

See the on-going build up of my '85 Jimmy! <a target="_blank" href=http://community.webshots.com/user/jekbrown>http://community.webshots.com/user/jekbrown</a>

7. BurbinOR

BurbinOR 3/4 ton status

8. BurbinOR

BurbinOR 3/4 ton status

9. BadDog

BadDog SOL Staff Member Super Moderator Author

Looks good, I just wonder if the bump stop brackets are going to be able to control the torsional load from the x-bar. With a truck bounding over rocks and dunes, there is quite a workout on the shocks. And that vertical plate adds leverage. Even though the vast majority of the force will be transferred straight along the plane, there will be a component of that force that exists perpendicular to the plane of the plate. Multiply that by the leverage and it could be too much for that bump stop bracket, which was never designed for any torsional load. Just me, but I think a gusset might be in order there, at least I would if it were me.

Where did you guys get those studs that are welded to your axle tubes. I've got to do the same thing on mine to do my lift and I'll need to find some like that.

Russ

85 K30 CUCV, 350 TBI, TH400, 205, D60/C14, 4.56 Locked, 4" lift, 42" tires
    Some day: massive cutting, shorter wb and rear overhang.

10. 55Willy

55Willy 3/4 ton status

It turned out great Franks..I'm glad I could do it for ya, now we just have to get to Sandlake to watch it work[​IMG]

<hr></blockquote><font color=blue>The above feelings are that expressed of the said user, and are in no relation to those of others on this site</font color=blue>

11. 55Willy

55Willy 3/4 ton status

those studs are standard shock studs, I drilled a hole in the bottom bracket and welded both sides of it to the mount. They are what a Chevy uses on the top so any parts place should have them.

<hr></blockquote><font color=blue>The above feelings are that expressed of the said user, and are in no relation to those of others on this site</font color=blue>

12. solowookie

solowookie 1/2 ton status

hey, how much are you charging for one of these kits???

<font color=blue> Jeff - may the force be with you</font color=blue>
    <a target="_blank" href=http://coloradok5.com/gallery/Jeffs-Stuff>link to k5's</a>

13. 55Willy

55Willy 3/4 ton status

it was a "one off" design but if it works for you then sure I can make another. I had another design to use for a bolt in application but since Franks exhaust and fuel pump didn't want to cooperate with us, we went to this idea. $75 includes all you see, two bottom mounts, top mount with crossbar and the 4 shock studs.

14. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

&gt; Sorry .........um, not really

yeah, thats what I thought!! =p

&gt;how are the Revolver's on the street?

I wish I knew. My rancho 5000s are about maxed...just sitting on level ground in the driveway... =( ...if only I had a x-member to mount some long travel shocks to I could do some driving/testing of the revolvers...hmmmm...wonder where I might get one of them...

J

See the on-going build up of my '85 Jimmy! <a target="_blank" href=http://community.webshots.com/user/jekbrown>http://community.webshots.com/user/jekbrown</a>

15. solowookie

solowookie 1/2 ton status

I'll put that on my to-do list... I'd like to do that conversion, and get rid of the junk BDS shocks I got under there before Moab... I've already got a set of furd shock towers for the front.

<font color=blue> Jeff - may the force be with you</font color=blue>
    <a target="_blank" href=http://coloradok5.com/gallery/Jeffs-Stuff>link to k5's</a>

16. BadDog

BadDog SOL Staff Member Super Moderator Author

Are you talking about the repair studs that have a nut and threads on the back side? Also, the brackets they are welded to, hard to tell but are they just sections of common channel iron? Channel Iron is what I was thinking of but it looks like too much radius on yours for that.

Russ

85 K30 CUCV, 350 TBI, TH400, 205, D60/C14, 4.56 Locked, 4" lift, 42" tires
    Some day: massive cutting, shorter wb and rear overhang.

17. mudhog

mudhog THEGAME Staff Member Super Moderator

looks great[​IMG]

wheeling pics

18. thatK30guy

thatK30guy 1 ton status Premium Member

WAH!! WAH!! WAH!!

Frank, that rearend I did for you does not have the paint on it anymore!! [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

See what happens when you off-road the thing!! [​IMG] [​IMG]

Nah, paint is only a cosmetic! [​IMG]

Nice job on the shock relocation, though. [​IMG]

<font color=red>Only real men drive K30's!!!</font color=red> [​IMG]

<a target="_blank" href=http://coloradok5.com/gallery/thatK30guy>The K30 Collection</a>

19. Esteban86K5

Esteban86K5 1/2 ton status

<a target="_blank" href=http://community.webshots.com/storage/1/v2/4/25/13/30042513cFmnvrRsKw_ph.jpg>What a dork!!</a>[​IMG]

BE <font color=blue>AMERICAN</font color=blue> BUY <font color=blue>AMERICAN</font color=blue>!!!!

<a target="_blank" href=http://community.webshots.com/user/geltyone>Webshots Pics.</a>

20. 55Willy

55Willy 3/4 ton status

yes those are the same studs. I used box tube that I split open....Any more questions and it will cost ya [​IMG]LOL

btw I just 2" box that I split open.