Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Rear Shock relocation.

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Derf00, Jun 18, 2002.

1. Derf00

Derf00 1/2 ton status

It's relocation time. I have broken the rear driver's side shock mount again and it is time to relocate the shocks, I am tired of fixing it. I have been looking at different members setups and want to know if there is any difference on which side of the axle you mount the shocks?

2. outlaw612

outlaw612 1/2 ton status

You mean how one is on the front side and one on the rear side of the axle? I think I remember reading its done for axle rap or something like that.

3. Derf00

Derf00 1/2 ton status

No, I mean when you relocate shocks and put them both on the same side of the axle, does it make any difference which side they are on. For example, Steve Fox's are mounted to the rear of the axle, which to me seem to offer a little more protection; however, I have seen other members with them mounted to the front side of the axle.

4. K5DRAGER

K5DRAGER 1/2 ton status

I used MOO relocation brackets and they are mounted on top of the axle. They work great!!

5. FRIZZLEFRY

FRIZZLEFRY 1/2 ton status

I mounted my shocks on the front of the axle.I have super mega axle wrap because of way soft springs and being fairly light.I dont think mounting in the front or rear of the housing has a whole lot of play in the axle wrap picture.

6. Seventy4Blazer

Seventy4Blazer 3/4 ton status

55willys makes a great setup. cost half as much as MOO
    i got it. GREAT WORK JEREMY!!
    i am buying more from him to.
    grant /forums/images/icons/shocked.gif

7. 55Willy

55Willy 3/4 ton status

Thanks Grant.
    Yes i do make a rear shock set up.
    Also it does not matter what side of the axel you mount them too, if you are a rock crawler I would mount them to the back side as to get them out of harms way.

-Jeremy
    Howlin' Off Road
    "Answer the Call of the Wild"

8. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

Mine are mounted near the top towards the front of the axle. My upper mount is also forward of the axle so the shocks lean inboard as well as forwards a little.

Rene

9. Boss

Boss 1/2 ton status Author

Derf, I mounted mine on the inside. I have my rear axle moved back ~ 3", so there is no way I could've mounted it on the other side (like Fox). But like the other said, it won't really matter which side you mount it. Personal preference I guess. Never had an issue with it.
    Friz, I'm running super soft 58" custom rear leaf springs (150lb spring rate). I welded on some custom perches that are really long (about ~ 7" long) to help "prevent" axle wrap. Drilled the hole up about 1" (to move axle back another inch (making it 3" total)) and I think that also helped in preventing any axle wrap. So far, I haven't noticed any. Just a suggestion for you.
    Boss

10. goblazeinco

goblazeinco Registered Member

Jeremy, How much are your rear shock setups? I have been considering doing something like that. Also do you have a pic of the upper bracket...I looked through your pics but didn't see one.

Clay

11. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

yeppers, gotta recommend 55willys (Jeremy's) shock relocation kit. Very nice, and as noted, dirt cheap compared to the competition! /forums/images/icons/laugh.gif

J

12. 55Willy

55Willy 3/4 ton status

13. Mudzer

Mudzer 1/2 ton status Author

Ditto! Check out this kit.

[​IMG]

Heres the Catalog Page

Shocks are mounted on the top of the axle, which keeps them out of harms way. You can adjust angles and such with this setup, plus you do not need a super long shock.

14. BozoWise

BozoWise 1/2 ton status

Hey Jeremy how much for the kit?

15. wrathORC

wrathORC 1/2 ton status

A lot of people put them both on the back side. I'd have to agree with them that this makes more sense because of impact. If I were doing it on a trail rig I'd put them on the backside and angle them in though (but not straight up, behind the axle still). This will allow you to have more travel.

FYI:
    The shocks on opposite sides of the axle is to help get rid of wheel hop and in theory it should help axle wrap during shifts (but not during acceleration). If you don't like to do burnouts or take off like a top fuel dragster then it doesn't matter.

16. BurbinOR

BurbinOR 3/4 ton status

Mine are mounted on the front of the rear axle /forums/images/icons/tongue.gif due to the electric fuel pump hindering putting it on the rear. No axle wrap for me. Probably better for rockcrawling to put them on top of the axle tube or the rear but where mine is mounted (compliments of Jeremy aka 55Willy) you'd have to be in some nice rock craters to hit the 9012's........not that the hard core rock guys couldn't do it, THEY COULD!

[​IMG]

17. twenty_below0

twenty_below0 1/2 ton status

I think it looks real good ....I want one.....I like 55willy's better and the fact that it's built by a member weighs heavy on this!!! We should support our members not knock them, piss off with the other set up and catalog what a bunch of bullshit! Blazzin sounds pleased with his and that's what matters. Excellent job!!!!

18. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

I think both set-ups have their merits. Both are made by members here though. The MOOffroad set-up is made by Steve Frisbe who's been here sharing his knowledge and stuff for quite a long time.

Rene

19. twenty_below0

twenty_below0 1/2 ton status

In that case I retract my last statement!! Thx for the info Trusty, Yes they do each have there advantages
    Sorry Steve, no pun intended!!!