Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Rear shocks on the ORD Jimmy...how did you seal them off?

Discussion in 'OffRoad Design' started by zakk, Apr 28, 2002.

1. zakk

zakk 1/2 ton status

I am looking to extend the rear shocks through the bed of the K5 but I am worried about mud & water coming up through the holes in the body.

I saw the pics of the ORD Jimmy and that is exactly what i need....but what is it??/forums/images/icons/laugh.gif

Also, i believe my shockes will end up being further back (towards the tail gate) Do you think that having them both staggered front facing ( a opposed to one back, one forward) would radically change street driving??

Thanks in advance!

2. Stephen

Stephen 1/2 ton status Moderator Vendor

We used a plastic roof deck flashing piece around each rear shock, they do OK but really don't seal that well since they're pretty rigid and the shock moves around a lot. We used a rubber deck-tite (brand name I think) boot around a couple of the cage penetrations and I think that would work a lot better for the shocks since they're flexible rubber. We found some of this stuff at home depot, you might also want to look at a roofing supply house or maybe plumbing supply?
    If you can't come up with anything, let me know because we can order them through one of our supply companies.

You probably won't notice a big difference with the shock angle, I pitched them forward to get a bit more travel out of them but it doesn't make much difference in ride. Tipping them back a bit would have made more room for the back seat and that may be what happens on mine next.

3. Michael

Michael 1/2 ton status

Try to find some wetsuit material...neopreme. That works well.