Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Rear shocks through the bed? Comments on Pics (Chops)

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by zakk, Oct 11, 2002.

1. zakk

zakk 1/2 ton status

Ok, here is a few of the ideas i have. I am thinking a bent 1.5" HREW .120" shock hoop(red ink). Then triagulate the two hopps against each other (purple ink). The "rough idea" of where i would cut the floor is in black ink. No rear seat is wanted, storage space only needs 3 ammo boxes, spare, cooler.

Picture #1 cuz the damn Pics won't link

I would weld the hoops to the frame, and try to tie it to a cage when i get one some year

Pic #2 cuz the damn things STILL will not link!!

Please comment, flame, rant, question, etc. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

2. bryguy00b

bryguy00b 3/4 ton status

i cant see nothin

3. zcarczar

zcarczar 1/2 ton status

Well there was a nice picture of a pre-runenr blazer in the classifieds on race-dezert.com with a setup like you want, but they lost all the classifieds and now I cant find the picture.

4. beater74

beater74 1/2 ton status

i'm gonna do something like that too. i've got some bilstein 6100 that are 35" fully extended. but what i'm thinking about is making the upper mount connected to the cage this way i would one less penatration through the floor.

5. 70~K5

70~K5 1/2 ton status

Unless your cage is solid to the frame, you're going to lose some damping by making your shock mounts attach to the cage. /forums/images/graemlins/ooo.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

6. zakk

zakk 1/2 ton status

the hoops are welded to the frame /forums/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif they are attached to the frame to help prevent them from folding

7. Butch

Butch 1/2 ton status

How will the shocks come up from the bottom? Looks like you are plannin to mount them at the apex of the peak, if so wont they hit the frame when the suspension articutlates? /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif The idea looks good, but I think you will have to move the shocks mount out onto the purple brace for clearance. You can also make that brace your spare tire holder then also.

8. laketex

laketex 3/4 ton status

i think it'd be difficult to bolt the rear seat back in /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif

9. BorregoK5

BorregoK5 1/2 ton status

The rear seat is the only reason I havent tubbed the back of mine and raised the shock mounts... /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif

10. zakk

zakk 1/2 ton status

right, they angle in a bit, not sure how to put that in the lines, i am a techno-tard:) also i do not run a rear seat, so that is not a consideration.

My idea is to have in angled in so that the force "pushes" on brace between the two towers, and when welded to the frame, it triangulates against "itself" for lack of a better term.

thanks for the input! keep it coming!

11. Blazinaire

Blazinaire 1/2 ton status

12. zakk

zakk 1/2 ton status

link no workie /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif

13. Greg72

Greg72 "Might As Well..." Staff Member Super Moderator

Zakk,

I think he was talking about this one:

[​IMG]

14. marv_springer

marv_springer 1/2 ton status

Zakk,

I like the basic design off the hoop. Were you planning on mounting the shocks on the outside of the frame or angle / \ in towards the center?

Most everybody running my rear suspension has clearance issues with the inner rear fenderwells at the top of the tire when full stuff /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif... One guy (DJ) cut out his inner part of the wells, and was planning to build a shock mounting structure just like your design. I don't think he ever finished it, but you can see his "cut job" here.

Now, if you were to start with his cut AND cut the floor back to the frame width, then make the hoops, and run the shocks on the outside of the frame up to the hoop, sort of leaning forward (kinda pointing toward the back of the driver's head)...

I think that would be the best all around setup.

Marv

15. marv_springer

Yeah... /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif.. thanks Greg. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

That shock location is very close to what I was trying to describe. Main diff would be that the whole inner well would be taken out too.

Another advantage to this is you could make the lower shock mount attach to the top of the U-bolt plate or axle .... getting it up out of harms way. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

Marv

16. zakk

zakk 1/2 ton status

hrrrmmmm....I was going to place the shocks just inside the frame rails, so that it was out of harms way, easily welded to the frame rail, and pimpy

What would be the benifit of angling forward? /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif /forums/images/graemlins/ears.gif

17. marv_springer

Inside the framerails might work just as good.... but the closer together the shocks are, the less control they have over body roll. Remember SMP's truck (flexy 1st gen)? He had his shocks thru the bed sticking straight up inside the framerails. Put the lower mount pretty close to the pumpkin on each side. Worked great for droop, but even empty - the street manners of his setup are near the edge.

Angling forward might give you a little more effective travel out of the shock - but still keep the mounts wide enough to give better street manners.

Just suggestions.... /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif If you do go "inside" the framerails, try to keep the the mounts as wide as possible.

Marv

18. BadDog

BadDog SOL Staff Member Super Moderator Author

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
    Angling forward might give you a little more effective travel out of the shock - but still keep the mounts wide enough to give better street manners

[/ QUOTE ]
    This is exactly what I did with mine. They are mounted to the spring plates and run up and forward to the outside of the frame...

19. zakk

zakk 1/2 ton status

Russ, do you have pics of that? i would like to see how shocks on the top of the packs would work.

TIA!

20. BadDog

BadDog SOL Staff Member Super Moderator Author

Here ya go...
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]