Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Rear Shoulder and Lap style seatbelts retrofit

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Cornfed-90K5, Feb 15, 2003.

1. Cornfed-90K5

Cornfed-90K5 Registered Member

I need to convert my rear lap style seatbelts to shoulder, correctly, so that I can take my children since my truck is also a daily driver other wise I am probably going to have to sell it and buy something else and I REALLY don't want to do that. Do I have to go out and find a shell from a '91 for my '90 or can I just retrofit what I already have. Any help would be appreciated otherwise I may be a former Blazer owner soon. /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif

2. Bubba Ray Boudreaux

Bubba Ray Boudreaux 1 ton status

Don't know your answer, but just wondering if you haven't check out the Nor Cal Big Dawgs forum? We have a few members in the area.

3. boots

boots 1/2 ton status

I'm looking at doing the same thing seatbelt wise in my '73 for the same reason. My solution is another rollbar hoop behind the rear seat. Got a year or two before i have to get this completed though.

4. MudNurI

MudNurI 1/2 ton status

You didn't say how old your kids are but here's the situation I ran into..

First off if your rig did not come with the rear shoulder and you install them- are you 100% sure they are going to work correctly when/if you need them to?

My kids are both in car seats...they use the high back booster seat in my car and John's trucks. This is the seat that looks like a regular car seat but does not have the 5 point harness. In order for them to ride in my K5, they can NOT use these seat's as they were not designed to be used WITHOUT the shoulder belt. I went to wally world, and bought the OLD STYLE booster seat...the one they sit in and has a shelf in front of it...this style is designed to be used WITHOUT the shoulder belt. The exact opposite of the highback. (I hate people that use car seats WRONG...)...anyway.. we had a car seat safety check this past summer at the local State Police barracks... and my seats passed, since they were in the K5...if they had been in the D/A or in my car, they would not have.

Before you go trying to modify anything, ESPECIALLY seat belts, which may have grave results if done incorrectly- try to find a car seat that accomodates lap belts only. If for some reason, where you are does not have them ...I can purchase them for you and ship them to you. (you pay for the seat, I'll ship for free)....improperly used seatbelts/car seats is a BIG issue with me..I've seen too many kids that would not have been hurt had it been done correctly in the first place.

Brandy

5. uglychevyZZ4

uglychevyZZ4 3/4 ton status

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
    I'm looking at doing the same thing seatbelt wise in my '73 for the same reason. My solution is another rollbar hoop behind the rear seat.

[/ QUOTE ] me too, thats what i was thinking about doing! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif i have 2 in car seats and now the new baby too /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif

6. wrathORC

wrathORC 1/2 ton status

Make a new rollbar with a loop in the spot where you need it. If you don't have a rollbar it's time to fabricate one up anyway. I've seen one too many K5s with the tops peeled off on the asphalt.

I'd probably see about using the seatbelts and/or seats out of a S10 Blazer. It's probably a good spot to take measurements from since they seem to work better for short people.

7. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

Get one off of the newer K5.

First off, you'd have to know if the internal's of the roof were different on the '91's. My guess is yes, since it would be fairly pointless to anchor a belt into fiberglass. More than likely GM added a steel "hoop" there.

Second, as was mentioned, in every K5 rollover I've seen at speed, the top came apart and was all over the freeway. I don't think I'd want *MY* belt bolted to the top if it rolled, and the top wasn't reinforced where it needed to be to prevent that.

A roll bar might be an option, but getting a '91 top is probably cheaper and easier once you find one.

8. uglychevyZZ4

uglychevyZZ4 3/4 ton status

forget the top, im gonna go with the rollbar.

9. boots

boots 1/2 ton status

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
    me too, thats what i was thinking about doing! i have 2 in car seats and now the new baby too

[/ QUOTE ]

time to get a burb or a vasectamy /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif