Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Rear Side Panels Question

Discussion in '1969-1972 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by k5_kid, Mar 28, 2003.

1. k5_kid

k5_kid Registered Member

I am trying fabricate some rear side panels. Can anyone tell me how they are supposed to mount? Also, if anyone has the dimensions or a outline of the panels that would help too. Also, any suggestions on the best material to use? Thanks!

2. bouncytruck

bouncytruck 1/2 ton status

My '72 CST had brakets that stuck out from the side and a chrome strip that ran across the top of the bed rail for mounting the side panels. My '69 doesn't have these so my guess would be that they were only on trucks that came with the rear side panels. If you come up with a good mounting design, make sure you let us know how you did it.

3. Triaged

Triaged 1/2 ton status

The bottom and sides are held in by some bent steel "L" strips (think thin angle iron). That you could do by yourself real easy. For the top there is that factory crome trim piece that holds them in.

If I was going to put in new pannels I would make them out of 1/2" or thikcker MDF (coated to be waterproof). The factory strips wouldn't work with any thing that thick any way but you could just screw them in with some stainless screws.

4. TONYP

TONYP 1/2 ton status

If I have time in the AM I'll get you some pics of mine as I have them out right now, It had the stock "A" brackets that hold it in the center and the "L" brackets on the floor. I'm going to remake mine out of carbon-fiber, lay it up just like fiberglass but lighter and stronger (one day, when I get all the other things done) I'll give you some numbers off mine

5. rrent

rrent 1/2 ton status

6. Triaged

Triaged 1/2 ton status

That is alot of cash. I gave mine to Greg at 2001 Blazer Fest. I just made him take them off /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

I think your best bet is to put up a post on the wanted board.

I check it every once and a while. I don't see ripping someone off for stock "junk" I took off of my blazer because it got in the way. I just want to make sure the parts go to a good home (and on my truck is not a good home for them!).

7. Stroked72Blazer

Stroked72Blazer 1/2 ton status

I've got some but I can't sell them to you because your not orange. Tell ya what, if you turn orange and pay for shipping you can have mine. At least I think thats what those things are.

8. rrent

rrent 1/2 ton status

Triaged - I hear that - good thing about ebay: you can find almost anything there --- bad thing: the "seller" as often as not thinks he's found a gold mine rather than an old truck part

once auction is done with a sale - I've emailed and offered to buy for less --

9. rrent

rrent 1/2 ton status

10. k5_kid

k5_kid Registered Member

I'll have to see about theorange.. I am a hugger fan, but don't hav ethe dough right now!

11. TONYP

TONYP 1/2 ton status

you can see the stock one and the other one was one that i made up, took some 1/16" alum and put it in a vise and bent it...

[​IMG]