Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Rear side panels?

Discussion in '1969-1972 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Roostr84, Feb 6, 2002.

1. Roostr84

Roostr84 1/2 ton status

I am finally having some time to start working on the 69 again, among things to do are swap motors and tranny's as well some other miscellaneous things. my first concern is crafting some new side panels for the rear. What ever I make them out of I am coating it with some spray in bedliner, since I am going more for functionality than being perty. Anyway at first I had considered MDF since it was gonna house speakers but i was afraid even though they were coated they may get wet and discintigrate. Does anybody have any reasonably priced options? BTW its nice to be back

Chris =)

I think the exhaust fumes have finally gotten to me!!

2. bouncytruck

bouncytruck 1/2 ton status

If you make them out of MDF and coat the entire panel with bed liner to seal it you should be ok.

'69 K-5/350/TH350/35's & 6" Lift

3. Roostr84

Roostr84 1/2 ton status

I am just debating on whether the mdf or maybe a 1/2 in plywood would be better?

Chris =)

4. ChrisM72beast

ChrisM72beast 1/2 ton status

I made mine out of 3/8" particle board. I have a little more modifying to be done (getting the thing to fit perfectly) and then i'm going to have it upholstered the same material as my seats. I'll post pictures once that's done.

Chris M

<a target="_blank" href=http://www.geocities.com/chrism72beast/beastpage.html>http://www.geocities.com/chrism72beast/beastpage.html</a>

5. Roostr84

Roostr84 1/2 ton status

Sounds nice. I am using my original panels as a template. I figure that I would coat the new panels so I wouldn't have to worry about damage from things in the back or water should i get stuck in the rain or perhaps get swallowed by a large mud puddle lol. As I mentioned before I am not too worried about prettyness as opposed to functionality since when i got this truck it had rust holes I could almost fit my head thorugh.

Chris =)

6. bouncytruck

bouncytruck 1/2 ton status

I think that I would go with the MDF over the Plywood or Particle Board if your concerned about moisture. I would think that the MDF is least likely to warp. You may even consider a polyurethane and then coat them with the the bed liner.

'69 K-5/350/TH350/35's & 6" Lift

7. LKJR

LKJR 1/2 ton status

Believe it or not MDF is very water resistant. I believe they make house siding out of it as well. I"ve got a sheet sitting outside that's been there about a year and it is still usable. If you rough it up with some sandpaper and coat it with bedliner it should be good to go. If nothing else maybe get some fiberblass resin and coat it with that.

Like em big and topless
    You call THAT...a 4x4....LMAO?

8. Michael

Michael 1/2 ton status

I agree with Les....mix up some resin and paint it on. I've done it on speaker enclosures and they are totally water-proof.

Michael[​IMG]
    <a target="_blank" href=http://www.jmartin.net/goose>www.jmartin.net/goose</a>

9. Michael

Michael 1/2 ton status

These are a bit pricey, but nice! www.jmartin.net/goose

10. Roostr84

Roostr84 1/2 ton status

Yeah i think the MDF and glass/resin is a great idea. plus I have a ton of it around from refiberglassing the deck of my boat last year. This should be cake now. Thanks guys. BTW I saw the rod doors panels a year or two ago...they are sweet. Would look cool on a street machine or show truck... mine is just a whoompass trail truck. I think they are too high class for it lol..

Chris =)

11. Roostr84

Roostr84 1/2 ton status

BTW I thought MDF got all flaky when it gets subjected to water?

Chris =)

12. Triaged

Triaged 1/2 ton status

What about making them out of dimond plate? You could use dimond plate aluminum (lighter and looks cool) or steel (cheeper and stronger). I plan on plating alot of my truck w/ dimond plate steel and having a dimond plate gage cluster.

'71 Blazer CST w/ a 400sbc, 4" lift, 36" Supper Swampers, and alot of rust
    <a target="_blank" href=http://community.webshots.com/user/triaged>See it Here </a>

13. Roostr84

Roostr84 1/2 ton status

Diamond plate was actually my initial idea but I though since I was mounting a speaker in there as well I was afraid of rattle etc. Still might consider it although the problem with that is the cost. When I checked a few places a full sheet was around 140.00 Would be badass though

Chris =)

14. LKJR

LKJR 1/2 ton status

Diamond plate would most likely rattle unless you did the mdf and glued them together somehow.

No, In the oldin days speaker boxes were made out of Particle Board, that stuff when it gets wet goes to poop. MDF is glued with a "space age" compound that helps it with water resistance and makes it stronger than particle board.

Like em big and topless

15. Roostr84

Roostr84 1/2 ton status

Space age glue.... thats that new fangled stuff that doesn't do nothin for ya when ya sniff it right lol

Chris =)

16. LKJR

LKJR 1/2 ton status

beat's me, never been to a mdf plant, just had a lack of words so space age kinda fit. try it sometime when your talking to someone, kind find the word your looking for just insert the word banana, or just randomly say banana when your talking to someone, it's kinda funny

Like em big and topless

17. yellowmoon

yellowmoon Registered Member

I got aluminum panels cut, but haven't got around to installing them. Hope I can bolt them in good enough not to rattle when I install speakers in them.

18. Greg72

Greg72 "Might As Well..." Staff Member Super Moderator

Roostr,

You might be confusing it with "chipboard" or regular 'ol particleboard. MDF is a MUCH denser material.....you'll know it when you try to lift it. It's surprisingly heavy compared to normal plywood or particleboard of the same thickness.

I still applied 3 coats of polyurethane sealer "inside and out" to my subwoofer enclosures just to be safe. I spent TOO much time building them to allow water to ruin them....

-Greg72

'72 K5 Blazer - 427BB/TH350/NP205/6" Lift/35x12.50's
    <font color=blue>See it here: </font color=blue><a target="_blank" href=http://coloradok5.com/gallery/albun38>http://coloradok5.com/gallery/albun38</a>

19. LKJR

LKJR 1/2 ton status

Yellowmoon,

If your not mounting subs in those panels they will probably be fine under the following conditions, you secure them well on top, bottom, and in the middle somewhere. You apply some kind of deadening material to the back side to take out the vibes.
    Greg I believe or someone anyway got some from grainer or McMaster Carr, or somewhere that was basically the same stuff as dynomat just larger quantity and much cheaper, you won't see it, it's not a fashion thing, (function before form here) so don't blow your money on the name brand sound deadener.

Like em big and topless

20. rrent

rrent 1/2 ton status

I don't know if you have access, but here in Austin (Texas) we have a couple of plastic stores - yep, they sell all kinds of plastic (some in different colors). I've used ABS on many occasions for fabrication it smooth on one side, but textured on the other - this textured side makes for a nice appearance - you don't see it used all the time, and its as easy to work as wood.

Just a thought.......

'72 Blazer mostly stock original "Baby Poop" yellow color