Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Rear sits too low on my '89 Sub

Discussion in '1936-Present Suburban' started by rotten03, Nov 11, 2003.

1. rotten03

rotten03 Registered Member

Rear sits too low on my \'89 Sub

I just installed a 4" Skyjacker lift on my '89 Sub and the rear of the truck sits way too low for my taste. Has this happened with anyone else? And how can I get the rear up level with the front? Should I chuck the blocks and go with a shackle flip or maybe taller blocks? Thanks guys.
    My Sub

2. skratch

skratch 1/2 ton status

Re: Rear sits too low on my \'89 Sub

Yes, this is a common problem with Suburbans. Basically all of them sit this way from the factory and unless it's adressed when you lift it, it will stay leaned back like that.

I think your on the right track with the flip kit. The ORD flip plus a 1" zero rate will get you level or with a 2" block, slightly higher. You could always go with a taller block until your able to get a flip or new springs installed.

One thing to keep in mind though is you replaced the front springs with new ones that haven't been worn out like the rear ones. Those rear springs won't have as much arch as they did from the factory which just agrivates the situation, so you may want to consider getting a new set of rear springs to get the best ride out of your truck.

Along those lines (since your truck looked like a 1/2ton in the pictures) I'd suggest looking for a set of 56" stock rear springs. The frame already has the holes for the mount to be moved into and if you do the flip kit you just have to move the rear mount back into those holes and swap in the new springs with a 1" zero rate. That would give you the best ride and load capacity for your buck plus it would set the rear back to level if not an inch or so high.

Anyway, thats a nice looking truck you got going there, Good luck
    /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

3. Greg72

Greg72 "Might As Well..." Staff Member Super Moderator

You could always extend the rear shackles by 2".....that would yield you 1" of lift.

[​IMG]

I have a complete gallery of this mod in my gallery links below.

The longer shackle can help soften up the rear springs a little too.....oh, but this only works (creates lift) if you've already done a shackleflip. Otherwise it will make it LOWER! /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

4. Jays Beast

Jays Beast 1/2 ton status

Doing a shackle flip with longer shakles will help raise the rear. On mine I have 4" front springs and in the rear (decided to get rid of the blocks) used a Echobit shackle flip with 6" shackles and 58" long Dodge /forums/images/graemlins/ignore.gif springs, my stock springs were 56" long. It set the rear end up higher than the front going to add zero rate spring to the front to help level it out. Here are a couple of pics [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]
    As you can see the limiting parts are the shocks and tires rubbing on inner fender well /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif. Which will be corrected soon. /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

5. skratch

skratch 1/2 ton status

What year/model did those rear springs come off of? Did you have to use the 6" shackle to make it work or would a stock one do with the filp kit?

This sounds like the kind of mod I'd like to do to mine when I put in a 6"-7" lift. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

6. Jays Beast

The spring were from a freinds 2001 dodge 1/2ton pickup freebie /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gifand yes I had to use the 6" shackle cause the stock shackles were they taper in was sitting/rubbing on the spring at rest. The ride is definately alot smoother than stocks and blocks. The spring at rest have a decent arch and thier not sitting on the overloads /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif now my shocks are my limiting and ride problem /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gifwhich I will be change soon.

7. dleroy43

dleroy43 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

I put a set of add-a-leaves to level mine.The ride wasnt very diferent for me.
    I am waiting to get out of here to put on my echobit flip that has been sitting in my basement since last september /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif
    /forums/images/graemlins/burb.gif

8. one ton burb

one ton burb 1/2 ton status

I got the same problem whit my suburban with custom springs it happens with suburbans and some blazers because of the extra weight over the rear springs so i'm going to fix mine by putting some zero rates in to get the extra 1 inch i need

9. 4xcrazy

4xcrazy 3/4 ton status

They just have big fat asses. /forums/images/graemlins/yikes.gif mine is the same way. /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif /forums/images/graemlins/burb.gif

10. muddysub

muddysub 1 ton suburban status Staff Member Moderator GMOTM Winner

oh man come on!! the saggybut lok is awesome my suburban sags about 1.5" and i love the way it looks! /forums/images/graemlins/burb.gif

11. quadracing

quadracing Registered Member

mine was the same way on my 1/2 ton suburban, I just went to the local junk yard and got 3/4 springs for the rear through them on it, and it was perfect.

12. muddysub

muddysub 1 ton suburban status Staff Member Moderator GMOTM Winner

"perfect" is about 2-3" of slant to the rear. /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

13. 4xcrazy

4xcrazy 3/4 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    "perfect" is about 2-3" of slant to the rear. /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

YEAH, It keeps those damn lowered imports from runnin underneath you and scratchin up your fuel tank skid plate and rear diff cover,,,,, /forums/images/graemlins/doah.gif /forums/images/graemlins/burb.gif

14. Topdown

Topdown 1/2 ton status

would it be better to put on a shackle flip and a set of 3/4 ton rear springs?

-Ryan

15. BurbLover

BurbLover 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    I'd suggest looking for a set of 56" stock rear springs.

[/ QUOTE ]

Chevy/GMC started using 56" rear springs half way through the 88production year. So, his 89 should already have them.

16. BurbLover

BurbLover 1/2 ton status

Jayson,

What size tires are you using? They look like a 315/75/16. Is that correct? Also, how much total lift did you do to both front & rear? It looks rear sharp /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

17. Jays Beast

[ QUOTE ]
    What size tires are you using?

[/ QUOTE ]
    the tires are 33x12.5x15 MTX so there a couple of inches shorter than the 315s /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif planning on changing this soon /forums/images/graemlins/woot.gif
    [ QUOTE ]
    Also, how much total lift did you do to both front & rear?

[/ QUOTE ]
    Not sure exactaly the front has 4" lift springs with zero rates so has about 5" in front, the rear has about a 7" with the Dodge springs and the shackle flip (more like 10" of lift from what it had when I got it /forums/images/graemlins/yikes.gif /forums/images/graemlins/ignore.gif)

[ QUOTE ]
    It looks real sharp

[/ QUOTE ]
    Thank you, except now it has a couple more dents in it but I'm not afraid(crazy /forums/images/graemlins/ignore.gif) to wheel it /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif
    [​IMG] /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

18. u2slow

u2slow 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    "perfect" is about 2-3" of slant to the rear.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah... it makes the rain that leaks in through the tailgate run back out! /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

19. chvyhs

chvyhs 1/2 ton status

All you need to do is buy my 3/4 ton axles. I think the 14b SF alxe will give you another .5" of lift. I'll even meet you in Barstow! /forums/images/graemlins/deal.gif

I got to go wheeling with you someday. How far is your wheelin area (in the pics above) form Murrieta Ca? I love how that area looks. /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif

20. Jays Beast

Was thinking of buying your axles, but /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif found a good deal locally /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif on a D70 rear axle and a D44 front 8 lug axle. So I could go to a larger tire and get a detroit locker and won't have to worry about my rear axle again. May turn my drive shaft into a twisted stick of metal. /forums/images/graemlins/yikes.gif If deal doesn't work out I'm considering still getting your axles. Also the area is near Flornce Junction which is east of Phx.