Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

rear slider question

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by amm888, Aug 28, 2002.

1. amm888

amm888 1/2 ton status

does anyone know what years rear sliders will fit in my '76 cheyenne k5?

-gracias

2. amm888

amm888 1/2 ton status

...anybody... /forums/images/icons/crazy.gif

3. trailblazer87

trailblazer87 1/2 ton status

All second gen trucks should fit. I replaced the glass in my 87 top with glass from a 78.

4. amm888

amm888 1/2 ton status

awesome, thanks /forums/images/icons/grin.gif

5. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

IMO the rear sliders are more pain than they are worth. The screws into the aluminum are extremely small and weak, and when/if you want to tighten the wing windows up, you can't, since the screws strip out. Have fun drilling those suckers out. I'm sure it can be done, but for the effort?

Also, they have about 5 extra seals that are ruined by this time in their life (all I've seen anyway) and they are fairly expensive/hard to get. If someone breaks one of the 3 pieces of glass, it will be either big $$ to replace, or you'll have to find a whole other slider setup. The locking latches suck on them, and break, no matter how gentle you are with them. (I've even modified them, they still broke) You can't open them if you are driving yourself, you'd have to stop, and I can tell you how many times I've used the sliders on mine since I've installed them about 2 years ago. 0.

The rear window rolls down, and so do the door windows, with both of those down, you get as much airflow as you need, and if that STILL isn't enough, you can pull the top off anyways!

I'm going back to the solid windows if you can't tell.

6. Grim-Reaper

Grim-Reaper 3/4 ton status Author

Last time the sliders were opened on my wifes 79 was so that we could clean the window under the wing window. The time before that was my wife (she's small) climbed through it because she locked the keys in the truck and the latch was broken and she new that. The latch has since been replaced. Key hidding under the truck now. I doubt it was opened for a year before that. Now her truck has working A/C so if we are hot it's turned on. I'm not going to take them out but after owning a truck with them in if I bought another truck like it nad the A/C worked I would not at all be concerned if it had them or not.

7. amm888

amm888 1/2 ton status

you guys forgot to mention that non-sliders look better! (at least in my humble opinion)

i appreciate your warnings of non-use

BUT my dog refuses to pant out the back. he stares at my non-slider side windows as he pants horrifically, sounding like he's on the verge of death (we go out a lot, and he plays hard)...

so, i need sliders!

by the way, what is IMO?

8. PGL4VT

PGL4VT Registered Member

IMO = In my opinion.
    I have non-sliders in my 72 but sliders in my 91.
    I LOVE the sliders.
    No other way to go IMO.
    I've never broken a latch and I use both all the time.
    I especially use the drivers side one.
    My dog just loves to hang his head out and slobber down the side and boy, does he draw attention from the gals hanging out there.

9. 90K5

90K5 1/2 ton status

I like mine too. I think they look better and I open them every now and then. You can get the latches for free from SouthCo...do a search, and you'll find the info about them.