Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Rear Sliding Side Windows Leak

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by TC70C10, Jan 9, 2007.

1. TC70C10

TC70C10 Registered Member

I've bought two 1/2 sets of new rubber moulding for the sliding rear side windows and had them installed by a so-called pro both times. Both sides continue to leak. I bought them from LMC. I'm going to caulk the snot out of them in hopes they stop leaking.

Anyone else have similar problems?

Anyone try Locktite sealant?

I'm also looking for a lead on the felt that the windows slide in. Mine is pretty dry rotted but the majority of the water is definitely coming in under the rubber moulding.

Thanks,
    Tim

2. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

have you checked with GM?

3. TC70C10

I checked for the window felt and it has been discontinued. Don't remember about the rubber moulding.

4. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

Look closely at the bottom edge of the lower window frame. It has a few drain holes in it. If they are covered or clogged up, then the track will fill up and leak into the cab.

5. jamber2541

jamber2541 1/2 ton status

I have the same problem and I have checked the holes in the rails and they are clean. Like you I have been looking at options (1) silicone (2) find some non sliding windows and replace the damn things.

6. Metrodps

Metrodps Strange but nice guy Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

Here if you are not aware of it. The fixed window rubbers work for sliding windows too. The felt might be the same as in motor homes try an RV shop.

7. BKinzey

BKinzey 1/2 ton status

I think JC Whitney & LMC have the felt.

As for the windows I've pulled both types, sliding and solid, out myself. They both had that black sticky goo on the fiberglass. I hope:rolleyes: RTV will give a better seal. I also plan to run a very thin bead of RTV on the inside of the rubber, next to the aluminum frame, as well.

Pulling the windows was simple. I started at a low corner from the inside and worked the rubber & window out. Just go easy and once you get the hang of it it takes a little time but is fairly easy.;)

8. TC70C10

Thanks for all of the responses. It poured down rain Sunday on the way back from the cabin. The water is definitely coming in under the rubber. The installer used a tube of RTV installing the two side windows last time. He did around the window frame and the window rubber. I think the aftermarket rubber from LMC is junk. It doesn't fit tight enough. When I bought the truck the side window rubber was caulked and it looked like crap.

I'm not sure which way I'll go next. I think I'll check with the dealer and see if they sell the rubber. I have to figure out the thumping in my front end (another post) and see how much it's going to cost to fix before I go overboard. Going to look at the hubs and front pinion/ring tonite.

Thanks,
    Tim (and the BollWeevil)

9. Metrodps

Window seals 101

Here is how I did my window change as BK said it was easy to do. You will need two flat head screw drivers and spray bottle of soapy water. A very small flat head to reinstall lock rubber. *if you have a window install tool works best about $5.00 for it. Looks like a pick with a pigs tail end.

1.) looking at window from outside you will see a little metal clip in the middle of rubber at the bottom. Take a small screw driver and pop that out.

2.) You will now see a small gap between the inner rubber strip. Take one end of it and pull it out in a lifting manor (away from truck).

3.) Now you will need two flat head screw drivers. Start a few inches from the lower rear corner and insert one screw driver in under the lip of the metal frame. Next spray some soapy liquid on rubber and insert other screw driver and work it around to lift the frame/glass out of rubber. *works best going to top.

4.) Once you get the rear upper corner out it is a breeze. Keep going till you have most of the top out of rubber. At this point you can pull the frame/glass out.

5.) I took the seals out and cleaned them in warm water to get crude and old black goop off. I used a butter knife to get it clean (DO NOT LET YOUR WIFE SEE YOU DO THIS). :mad: :bow:

6.) After they were dry I put a thin bead of black RTV on the fiberglass lip and placed rubber onto it.

7.) I then placed the lip of the frame/glass in to the front corner of rubber and started to wards the rear. Using the screw driver to pop the outer lip out at the rear and worked on up and over to toward the front. *you will need the soapy liquid from time to time.

8.) Once you have it in you will take the thin rubber piece that you pulled in step 2. Start in the middle bottom and insert it into the gap in the rubber *I used a small flat head to push the upper edge down into channel. The best way to describe this motion is kind of like a wrist flick or reverse knock.

9.) Now if you did every thing right you should have a little extra locking rubber when you get to bottom *(stretches when you pull it). Cut this as close to the other end as you can (about 1/4 inch).

10.) Now you will replace the metal clip pull both ends out just so you can slide them into the clip. Now press it into the grove.

10. TC70C10

Great Info. I tried it one time and ruined the rubber that's why I said I have bought 2 1/2 sets.

I'm going to check with GM and see if they sell the rubbers. Mine is less than a year old but you can see a gap on the top where it makes the bend to come back under the window bottom. I'm sure the water is getting in there and running down the underside of the moulding and coming in the truck. \

I'm not sure I can reuse the existing rubbers but I guess I could give it a try.

Thanks again.

Tim

11. Metrodps

Snap a pic and post it on photo bucket then link it here so I can see what your talking about. How did you ruin them? It really is not that hard to do dude. The key is soapy water to get rubber seal around glass/frame and then the locking rubber pushes the seal out to seal the rubber.

If you cant get it posted click on my name and email it to me. I will do what I can to help you.

12. TC70C10

I checked with GM Dealer and the window rubber for the sliding side windows is a discontinued item.

Anyone use someone other than LMC?

13. TC70C10

Thanks,

I paid a window and glass man to put the last two sets in. I think the rubber gaskets that LMC is selling is the problem. I'll take a picture of the upper corners tonite and show you what I'm talking about.

14. BKinzey

BKinzey 1/2 ton status

GEEEZZ Pal I use a NEW rubber every time.....:doah:oh wait... brain fart.... mind drift....:haha::haha::haha::haha::haha:

I wonder if the rubber is the same for solid & sliding glass? JC Whitney shows only one molding but I wouldn't trust the listing. I wonder if it is a different brand than LMC?

Lots of people are trying to get rid of the whole top. Might be able to convince someone to sell, or give:eek1:, you a stock set. Better to futz & experiment with than buying new:thinking:

15. Metrodps

I asked a guy on eBay who was selling a topper with the sliders in it and said no shipping. I asked him if I was high bidder if I paid him a little extra would he pull the windows and rubbers to ship and I pay the shipping. He could then sell the top again if he wanted to.

He agreed to and the shipping was like $50 from LA (not L.A. CA). I know of a truck in local JY that has solid windows and the rubbers. If you want I can ask if he would sell the rubbers. If he will how much should I offer him?

Let me know.

16. TC70C10

Thanks but you don't need to go to all that trouble.

17. Metrodps

TC we are a family tied together by a love of our trucks and wheeling. This is what brothers do for each other. The Membership unlocks all the goodies of the brother hood.

I need to go find a ring for my rim any way so if you want I can ask about it. It is not a problem if you say don't ask I won't. :p:

18. TC70C10

Thanks, but I'll work it out. I just called the glass company that installed the rubbers last spring and they want to make it right. I'll let you know what happens.

19. Metrodps

OK I saw in the garage where some one posted about a guy with sliders for sale might hit him for rubbers he wanted $50 for the windows.